Wi-Fi syncing more than two devices.

Options
Anilo
Anilo
Community Member

Is there any way? Perhaps not any user friendly to sync actually PC, iOS, Mac?
You know..Im working at home with PC, at work with Mac and i have iPhone, iPad, some old Android tablet...
And as I'm on the go, or working and chilling, registering for new services..silly I know...over time...my devices contains different sets of passwords. So easy to do...I go to Wi-Fi sync...and sync my devices. Oh..ideal world. I can't. I can only sync two devices. What?
I don't know why there is only tandem solution for Wi-Fi sync. I don't want to use any cloud services. I definitely don't trust Dropbox, and iCloud is more trustful.. but no. I want avoid to using any 3rd party cloud services. Why? If ever, ever in not-foreseeable or foreseeable future eventually some kind of handy dandy cracker pass protection of 1password from all around collected 1pass-protected-vaults I'll be happy to be not among them which, he will physically poses. You can be as good hacker or cracker as No. #1 can get, but you can hack only what you have or have access to. So implementation of Wi-Fi sync is most strongest solution (considering you are sync only at home in trusted network) implemented in 1Password and also was that solution which bring me into using 1Password on the firstplace from LastPass or KeePass (smiliar but clunky...linux tho is nice there).
So it's more like request for devs or anyone with any ideas over this. Can you do it in proper way? To sync all devices? Implement BitTorrent Sync it works over Wi-Fi only too i don't know...
But If I relied my trust on 1Password it means that I trust Agilebits as far as they don't send any my data to any server, i should not be forced to use any 3rd party service in which they are not in charge of or part of.

Do anybody know my fix solution for this kind of (normal situation) working on more than 2 desktop platforms or computers solutions?
Or can i workaround files simply with bitsync and not sync it over implemented design at all? Probably only for phone sync?

Or everybody use just Dropbox, iCloud or 1 desktop and 1 mobile device? :)

1Password Version: any
Extension Version: any
OS Version: many
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Anilo,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

I don't suppose I will convince you, but if anyone else is reading this, I do want to point out that 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either Dropbox or iCloud to protect your data. 1Password provides its own protection.

Nothing is impossible, but much is improbable. 1Password has an open security design to benefit from public expert scrutiny. You have secrets; we don't. That's why our data format is public.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers. It is not possible to share anything using Wi-Fi Sync.

All that said, at this time it is only possible to sync one mobile device with one desktop computer. The mobile devices need to be paired using a secret. The secret required for pairing with one desktop is wiped out when you pair it with a different desktop.

I will make sure the developers know you are interested in syncing a single mobile device with multiple desktop computers, but there are technical hurdles which make it much more difficult than simply allowing one device to store a single secret for pairing. So I can't promise it will ever be possible.

What you might consider is using Folder Sync to shuttle a USB flash drive with a synced copy of your data:

1Password for Mac: Folder Sync

I would suggest using a local sync solution like rsync or ChronoSync since you are cloud averse. However, that won't be as useful if your desktop computers are in two different geographic locations.

I hope that helps a little bit. Please let me know.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.