Should I Trash Dropbox Files After Syncing.

Options
jmbreitigan
jmbreitigan
Community Member

After syncing 1 Password 5 between my two Macs via Dropbox, is it a good idea to delete those files in my Dropbox folder?

Regards, John M Breitigan

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@jmbreitigan - One of the big advantages of Dropbox syncing is that changes made on one of the coordinated devices appear automatically on the others. If you delete the files from Dropbox and don't turn off Dropbox syncing in your 1Password preferences, the file will be recreated by the first device that opens 1Password. If you turn off syncing and delete the files, your two Macs will no longer continue to have the same data. Personally, I would not want to have that situation.

Your data are just as safe in your Dropbox account as they are on your local machine. The protection against data theft depends entirely upon the strength or you master password and the encryption implemented by 1Password. It does not depend in any way on whether your data continue to reside in your Dropbox account.

All this is a long way of saying that I would leave Dropbox syncing on and not delete the data, if I were you. You may feel differently, of course.

• jmbreitigan
    jmbreitigan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you hawkmoth. I will leave it as it is.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmbreitigan,

On behalf of Hawkmoth, you are quite welcome! :)

You may be interested to read about how 1Password provides end-to-end encryption for your data:

What is end-to-end encryption? How does that protect my data?

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

• jmbreitigan
    jmbreitigan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the link khad, I am now informed of what goes on and Happy Hew Year to you also. Thank you for the prompt replies and the Mac support.
    John

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's my pleasure. :)

All the best!

This discussion has been closed.