Cleaning up data/default directory in Dropbox.

Options
gibbledom
gibbledom
Community Member

I have 577 files in my 1Password/1password.agilekeychain/data/default directory. Most of the files are in the format:
0C07698FB43848FD8BDA0EEA39F7FA2F.1password. Can I delete all but the most current version of this file?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cleaning up dropbox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @gibbledom,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

DO NOT DELETE THOSE FILES

Each item in your vault is represented by a different .1password file. Those files are your sync data.

In general, there is never any reason to modify or delete anything within 1Password.agilekeychain. Doing so can break things or even cause data loss. That would not be a great way to ring in the New Year. :)

• gibbledom
    gibbledom
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Interesting that I only see these files in from the Windows desktop - not from the Mac.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

@gibbledom,

In OS X, there is the concept of a bundle. Apps themselves are bundles. You can see inside a bundle by choosing "Show package contents" from the shortcut menu in Finder.

A bundle is simply a way for OS X to present folders of files as a single file in Finder. Windows has no such concept, so a bundle appears as a traditional folder on Windows.

In general, the contents of a bundle should not be modified. This applies to your 1Password data as well as app bundles. There is usually a reason the developer has decided to use a bundle, and it is sometimes to limit casual (and accidental) tampering of the contents. This prevents folks from shooting themselves in the foot, but it only prevents it if they abstain from tampering. It is fun to poke around and investigate, but I'd recommend a "look but don't touch" philosophy in order to avoid calamity. :)

• gibbledom
    gibbledom
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

• @gibbledom On behalf of Khad, you're most welcome. We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.