Installing Fresh on a MAC

Options
bberzin
bberzin
Community Member

Use 1PW on my iPad. Want to enable it on and link to my MAC. However, once installed on the MAC it's looking for a long forgotten PW. How do I start fresh? Tnx

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:change-master-password, kb-search:Use 1PW on my iPad. Want to use it & link with MAC. Looking for long forgotten PW. How do I start fresh?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bberzin,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Before we go too far, you should back up your existing data by selecting File > Backup from the menu bar. Then follow these steps to start over with a new vault:

1. Download the "Data Reset Utility for 1Password 5".
    2. Double-click the ZIP file to decompress it (if your browser didn't do that for you automatically).
    3. Control-click on the tool and select "Open" from the shortcut menu.

4. Follow the prompts, and 1Password should give you the chance to start with a new vault.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help. :)

Cheers!

• bberzin
    bberzin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Will do. To take it to the next step, how do I make sure that the data that this must be grabbing is overridden by the more current data on my iPad.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bberzin,

The data will be moved to your desktop. You will start fresh. Then you can sync the data from 1Password on your iPad into a brand new, from-scratch installation of 1Password. It's like you never used 1Password on your Mac before.

This section of the 1Password for Mac User Guide will help you get the data over from your iPad:

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer.html

• bberzin
    bberzin
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to be slow on this. But I've deleted 1PW5, emptied the trash and re-installed it. When I open it, it goes directly to asking for the pw; does not query whether this is new or used before.

• bberzin
    bberzin
    Community Member
    Options

All fixed. Thank you

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for writing back to let me know all is well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

This discussion has been closed.