Mac keeps promoting username and password in everything

Options
whittynz
whittynz
Community Member

mac prompt installs etc and iTunes to app a username and password how to I save in 1password? and Apps install and in mac prompt dialogue box how do I 1password to store this as its a pain at every prompt :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @whittynz,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I'm not 100% certain I understand what the issue is, but I'll take a crack at it.

You can create a new Login and enter your username and password for your Apple ID like this:

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/create-an-item.html

Then, whenever you need to enter your Apple ID password into a prompt from the App Store or iTunes, you can just do this:

1. Press the ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut to open 1Password mini.
    2. Begin typing the name of your Apple ID Login item until it pops up.
    3. With your Apple ID Login selected, press ⇧⌘C to copy the password to the clipboard.

Then you can paste it into the prompt. :)

This works for copying any password from any item you want to search for. It's pretty handy. I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers!

• whittynz
    whittynz
    Community Member
    Options

I get these prompt!! nothing seems to record my password as I use it often I can remember them but need a way to remeber with 1password if I can?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@whittynz

That is a system password input box from OS X. It is not possible for 1Password to interact with this type of prompt.

Maybe one of the staff will have an alternate suggestion for you. Please look for further posts and or suggestions from others.

• whittynz
    whittynz
    Community Member
    Options

thank you its driving me nuts at the moment and I though 1password be a solution mm well good luck with the staff and Happy New Year as 24hours in New Zealand is New Years day.

2016 :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@whittynz,

THightower is correct. There is no way for 1Password to integrate directly with those system prompts, but my tip above will allow you to copy and paste the password quickly if that helps.

If you are seeing such prompts frequently, I suggest taking your mac to the nearest Apple Store to see if they can resolve things for you. :)

Happy New Year to you as well!

• whittynz
    whittynz
    Community Member
    Options

tried the copy and paste apple has surely secured the apple well makes it harder agree with that but a cont prompt for password is getting a bit beyond a joke 7 times in a hour is a overkill to run apps and Itunes store so browse apps or books and then request it again lol coy paste failed to work :( so I have manually type it in luck I'm not old with brittle memory loss ;) year new year eve for us tonight the big countdown begins 2016.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @whittynz,

Sorry to hear your Mac keeps prompting you for your OS X user account password more often that you'd like! Is it the same prompt as in your screenshot each time? 1Password doesn't have any control over that, as it's a function of OS X and/or the app that is asking you to enter your OS X password. If it's a problem for you, and you don't know how to stop it, you may want to contact Apple Support or (as Khad suggested) take your Mac to the nearest Apple Store to see if they can help you with that.

You should be able to copy & paste data from 1Password into other apps - however, it's possible the window that asks for a password doesn't allow text to be pasted in that field. Again, that's not something that 1Password has any control over. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that!

If you have more questions or if we misunderstood the problem, please do let us know. Have a Happy New Year! :)

• whittynz
    whittynz
    Community Member
    Options

finally got it to work is Alfred https://www.alfredapp.com and it works well made a key command (workflow) and it works beutifully thanks other members on here might like to know the is a work around the pop ups.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know all is well! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

This discussion has been closed.