1PW not updating passwords

Options
kagy
kagy
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

This is a strange one, and a bit difficult to explain. I have gone to two sites now to change passwords. One example is Ancestry.com. Everything seems to go well, and when I use the Firefox 1PW extension to create a password, it is accepted. 1PW, as expected, asks if I want to update an existing password. I tell it to do so, and all seems well.

As a matter of practice, I sign out, then sign in to test the results. Not problem. In fact the login section of 1PW's main app shows that my password was last changed as of the time I'd expect.... except on further investigation, the password isn't changed at all; it's the previous password. If that was all there was to it, I'd simply copy and paste the newest password in to the proper login and be done with it. But - this is the kicker - I am able to use 1PW to sign in to the site with the OLD password!

Looking in to the password section of 1PW shows a record of the new password, but it hasn't been incorporated into the login.

Perplexed! Which password am I using to access the site, and why isn't 1PW's login section being updated?

Edit: Regarding Ancestry.com: I just reattempted changing passwords. This time I took a rather manual approach by copying the "new" password from 1PW main app "password" site, and pasting in to the Ancestry site. When 1PW asked me if I wanted to update the existing site, I accepted and it worked as it was supposed to, changing the 1PW main app "login" password for Ancestry.

As I said in my original post, I had this problem on two sites. The other site is PayPal, and I have yet to tinker further with it.

Attempting to change my password on this forum worked as expected.

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.5.1
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    Options

And this just got more serious. The new year is when I update many passwords. I just attempted to update my password on the US Social Security site with the same problems as mentioned above. This time the site locked me out because of three failed login attempts. The newly generated passwords are stored under the password portion of 1PW, but the app is not updating the login section, even though it after updating a sites password, 1PW asks me if I want to update an existing password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kagy,

Something odd is going on there but I'm unsure what at this moment.

Here is how things should work. When you make use of the Password Generator in 1Password mini and you copy or fill using a generated password we should create a brand new Password item in your vault. If you do this for a web page you should find the title indicates what site you did this at. When we recognise that you're on a password change form we should bring up the 1Password Save Login window. In the current stable version it will default to creating a brand new Login item while in the beta I find it defaults to offering to update an existing item. When you update 1Password checks and if it finds a Password item has the same password as the one you're updating to then we remove the Password item. The reason why we do this is because the Password item is the backup for if anything should go wrong. If you're updating a Login item to use this new password then the Password item is redundant and we can safely remove it.

We know there is a bug in the stable version of 1Password for Mac where it won't correctly bring up the 1Password Save Login window when it should but this is fixed in the current beta and should be in the next version that we release.

What is odd though is if you are seeing the 1Password Save Login window, instructing 1Password to update and yet it only seems to be altering the date modified timestamp. I've seen something like this before and when we investigated we found that the form had four fields, two with the old password and two with the new one. We always assumed that we would only ever see the new password twice and never the old one. I believe we tweaked this assumption in the beta as I haven't seen it again since when testing that site. The reason the date modified was altered was because 1Password rather sillily updated the password to the same one. Thankfully because the 'new' password wasn't the same as the one in the Password item the Password item remained allowing me to manually correct the problem. Genuinely, we never anticipated seeing the old password multiple times as until then every password change form was typically old password once for authentication and the new one twice to confirm the user knows the new password (nobody wants to be locked out thanks to a typo).

I did try changing my password at PayPal and it all seemed to go through with no issue. I'm a little reluctant to create an account at the other site as it would seem (but I don't know for sure) that I will have to supply a valid credit card to complete the signup, something I'd rather not do if I can avoid it.

So I'm wondering if you're going to see improvements in both cases in the next release of 1Password for Mac.

If you see any other unusual behaviour though please do let us know and when we release the next version I would be very interested to hear if you find it works better for you.

• kagy
    kagy
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm following most of what you said bobby (can I call you bobby, for short?). The only thing I'm doing different than in your submission above is that I am not using the 1Password mini to create a new password, but rather the Firefox extension. I do have the 1Password mini app installed and open. Conflict?

And may I know when the next release will be?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @kagy,

Our browser extension is actually just a bridge that invokes 1Password mini so whenever you click on the icon and get the 1Password menu - that's 1Password mini. So it sounds like we're doing things the same way.

I believe we're getting closer to the next release but I'm really sorry, I'm unable to say when. We keep that sort of stuff quite quiet just in case anything catches us off guard and we have to correct. 1Password does periodically check or the App Store on your Mac does it for us for those that purchased from the Mac App Store so you will be notified of its release, assuming you don't subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Twitter or Facebook. I apologise that I can't offer an ETA though.

This discussion has been closed.