1Password General Questions.

Options
itpete
itpete
Community Member

Hi to Agile Bits team,

Hope I am posting to the right place here - just some general queries I have, before purchasing.

I have been using another Password Manager (RoboForm, v5.x, v6.x & v7.x, installed on a USB drive), for some years now, but I feel, for me, it has as become a bit stagnent and have been having various issues with their software working with web browsers, which I have been using Mozilla Firefox since the days of IE6. And so, for about a month, I have started looking at other PM's.

Only today (Sun 03 Jan 2016), I was looking into and consdiering purchasing Sticky Password, when, after a Google search and reading an article from Paul Moore https://paul.reviews/how-secure-is-roboform-the-5-minute-challenge/, about Roboform and another review for Sticky Password, I came across Agile Bits and 1Password.

I have read as much as I possibly can, but, I would like to confirm the following, if my understanding is correct ::-

1. If I purchase 1Password now, at v4.x, when version 5.x is released, there would be an upgrade cost? But, updates of v4.4, v4.5, v4.6, etc, are included.
  2. I would like to use 1Password on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit home computer, my work computer (which I currently own when I started working for the company - also Win 7 Pro 64-bit), and on my Android WileyFox smartphone. If I understand your licensing correctly, I am able to purchase 1x license to cover these devices? If not, that's fine, please advise.
  3. Being used to Roboform, I understand there will be changes in changing over, but, Roboform has a feature called 'Profiles', where I could have a personal home Profile, and another Profile for work use, but all within the same overall license. Does 1Password have a similar feature and would this be within the purchasing license?
  4. I have been reading about the Dropbox Sync feature, but, could this be used with either Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, which I have access to to both of these?

Many thanks guys, for your time in this matter and I look forward to your reply!

And, hey, Happy New Year to you all!!

^Peter

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Google Drive, OneDrive

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@itpete- I'll answer the questions I can, but since I am unfamiliar with Roboform, I'll have to leave that to others.

1. With 1Password, the license you purchase is good for as long as you want to use it. You don't have to upgrade to a new version if you don't want to, although there likely would come a time when an OS update might break a legacy version. Updates within a major version are always free. That is, you wouldn't have to pay to move from 4.0 > 4.1 > 4.2, etc. However, major upgrades do sometimes require another payment. I haven't followed the Windows version, but for Mac, upgrading from version 3 to version 4 required an upgrade payment. Registered users who bought their license from the AgileBits web store received a generous upgrade discount. The upgrade from version 4 to version 5 (the current release for Mac), however, was free to licensed users. The AgileBits folks don't discuss pricing in advance of major releases, but this history might serve as something of a guide about what you should expect.

2. Licenses are sold on a per platform and per user basis. You can install your version on as many computers of the same platform as you like, so long as you are the user. So your home and work Windows computers are covered under one license. But Android is a separate platform, so your license for Windows will have nothing to do with a license for Android. The Android application is free to download and use in its basic form, but it requires a payment to activate some more advanced Premium features. You can read more about licensing terms here. I realize that is from the Mac support documents, but it covers all the bases.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by separate profiles, but the 1Password preferences can be set on each machine, independently of any other installations. You'll need to hear from someone more familiar with Roboform to give a better answer. Edit: I occurs to me that you may be wanting to separate data for private and work purposes. If that is the nature of you r question, 1Password allows the creation of multiple vaults, which many people use to keep data separate by purpose. You can elect to sync any combination of vaults you like.

4. At the present time, the only cloud sync solution supported for Windows and Android is Dropbox. There are many user requests for using other cloud services, which the developers record and take into consideration. But AgileBits has a policy of not commenting about whether or when a new feature might appear in advance of the release of a new version. All you can do is rely on what the software does now. I don't think you will find WiFi or Folder sync to be very convenient for all your devices, but those are available.

Finally, be sure to look over the document on the main 1Password Support site. There are user guides there for all versions and access by searching for lots more information.

• itpete
    itpete
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @hawkmoth ,

Many thanks for the quick reply - I have just read!

Your comments have helped answer my questions, even your 'Edit' with regards to Roboform's Profiles feature and 1Password's equivelant 'Vault'.

And your link to the Support about the Licenses, also helped clarify things more - did see that page!

I shall wait until tomorrow evening (UK time), to see any other comments, which maybe of help, but, this has been a good start in looking at new PM software for myself!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@itpete - Remember that there is a 30-day free trial of the fully featured Windows application. You can try it for a while to see how it works for you.

• itpete
    itpete
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth :) this is true!!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @itpete,

Yesterday, I just completed the RoboForm 7.x for Windows converter for the converter suite. I have not yet posted it, as I still need to shoehorn the 6.x support back into the new framework. Let me know if you're interested in using it to converter your exported RF safenotes, logins/passcards/bookmarks, and identities.

• itpete
    itpete
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC !

That's brilliant! Haven't purchased yet, but, will definately bare this in mind and thank you for posting!! ;)

I have tried exporting Roboform v7 data (from my USB drive version, earlier in 2015), and it was not straight forward and the exported info left a lot to be desired!!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @itpete,

You're welcome.

The RF export is (bad) HTML, and pulling out data from that is an exercise in frustration for users jumping ship.

You can trial 1Password, so the converter will be available if/when you need it.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I'm not sure how Roboform works, but I know some password managers store the password data on their own servers.

1PW is different in that the data are entirely under your own control. They are not stored outside your own computer unless you choose to use (say) Dropbox sync. This has its disadvantages, you can't just get the data if you are on a different machine. And if you forget your master password then your data is gone, AgileBits can't reset the password for you. But on the whole I think the approach chosen for 1PW provides much better security. Even if you stored data on Dropbox, and Dropbox was hacked, all the hacker would get is an encrypted database, whose encryption is secure enough that (until quantum computing is a practical matter) it could not be decrypted.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itpete,

It's great to see you've been getting some fantastic advice here from our forum community! There's not much that I can add to what's already been said except to mention that we do have a sale running currently. It's a limited time offer, and it will be over soon, but if you're debating purchasing a license, now is a fantastic time to do so!

You can get a license for 1Password for Windows in the AgileBits Store, and the sale applies to the Premium features of the Android app as well (which is an in-app purchase.)

I hope this helps!

• itpete
    itpete
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC , @danco and @Megan ,

Thank guys and girls for taking the time to leave your feedback and help me make a decision.

@MrC :: I have to agree with you, with the RF export - yes it is "bad", and I have only used this feature a couple of times. But, still it was bad.

@danco :: I see what you're saying, though, I am using Roboform2Go on a USB drive, so the data is with me nearly all the time. But with their updates, web browser toolbar/extension intigration has got worse. And, to make their toolbar/extension features work, on some web browsers, I have been told that I have to install the free Desktop version first (on the computer I will be using), then insert my USB drive. Which, this to me, totally defeats the object of using the USB drive and portable software!

And yes, I could use Dropbox sync, to sync my data, though, I do have personal reservations in using Dropbox personal. I have a paid-for Cloud storage, with a company called Firedrop (https://firedrop.com/), and so far, have been very happy with their service. I am sure AgileBits will offer alternative Cloud Sync options, soon.

@Megan :: Just had a look at the AgileBits store tonight (UK time, around 21:00), and yes, I do see the offers currently available. So, as much as I would like to make use of the 20-30 day free trial, I would not like to miss out on the current offers, both for Windows and Android.

So, during work hours tomorrow, I may have to virtually call into your store and maybe drop a couple of items into my basket!

Many thanks to you all again for taking the time to leave your comments, and so quickly too! MrC, I maybe in touch soon!

Happy New Year to you all!!!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@itpete ,

You're welcome.

The converter is already posted, a special version. It is in Testing Bits, and it is the file named: convert_to_1p4_1.08pp_rf.zip. If that file exists when you visit Testing Bits, use it. If it is gone, that means I've updated the 1.08 version there, so use it instead.

Ignore the README directions about the requirement of RoboForm <= 6.9.99. Just export from your 7.x version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itpete,

I'm glad to see that you're considering taking advantage of our sale! If you have any further questions about 1Password, we're always happy to help. :)

• itpete
    itpete
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys,

Well, I have just made the "purchase" - Tue 05 Jan 2016, 18:40 UK time!

Bye, bye Roboform2Go!!

Now just to Export all my data from RF and Import into 1Password. Though, not now - not long in from work and my dinner is cooking!
    :) :) :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Woohoo! Thanks for purchasing 1Password, @itpete. This is a day to mark on your calendar. :) :) :)

I hope you enjoyed your dinner by now, and you know where to find us if you have any further questions.

All the best!

• itpete
    itpete
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @khad ! Thanks for the post - sorry, just checking today (around 23:45 UK time)!

Dinner a bit over cooked (as I thought it would happen - I do get side-tracked when doing IT stuff), as I started reading more about 1Password (support docs/user guides).

But, I downloaded the Andrioid App a couple of days ago, and just tonight, paid for the premium features. 8-)

Just got the Wi-Fi Sync from my Windows 7 computer to my smartphone - quite straight forward and simple! (KISS - Keep It Simple Silly!) - liking that! :) 8-)

So, now, @MrC , I've just downloaded your Converter tool, so, tomorrow (at some point), will be, lets export all my Roboform data/files and import into 1Password! I guess I should have the kettle on and a cup of tea/coffee to hand, just in case!!

It will be nice once I have got this done, as I have been using Roboform2Go on a USB drive for my Windows computers and an Android App called B-Folders on my smartphone(s), for a few years now! And no, these two pieces of software don't talk to each other. So, if I updated one, I had to manually update the other. :'(

Onwards and upwards!! Hope you all have a great weekend!!! :) 8-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That sounds great, @itpete! :chuffed:

Keep us posted. I'm going to make sure the team knows how smoothly Wi-Fi Sync is working for you. It sounds like this will be much easier to manage than your previous setup. ;)

The weekend is already off to a good start, and your post made it even better. We always love good news. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.