best practice for setting 1password personal with teams and iOS

Options

I have a premium personal account, running 1Password6 Beta on Mac and then just recently got tied into a Team. I've got this working correctly. with integrating my Team account with my personal account. I had to create a unique login for my team account and my personal account, which means I have two unique passphrases to remember. I understand that when logged into the fat-client from my mac, I use my personal account which by proxy gets me access to my team account. This is unless I log into the team account through a web browser, then I specifically need my team account passphrase. My questions are the following:

1. what is the best practice to tie in my iOS device? I'd like my passphrase to be the same on both my mac and my device. If I use the "join Team" when I first download the iOS app and use the QR code scanning feature, then I'm tied into using my Team passphrase on that device. This is not ideal. What is the best practice here?
  2. Why would I maintain a personal vault on my premium personal account when it looks like I get the same feature/functionality on the Team account?
  3. It looks like the Team Account automatically syncs between the fat client and the iOS device (when originally configured to join the team account using the QR code method). In this case, do/should I set up iCloud sync? does it do anything different or are there other advantages/disadvantages?
  4. In relation to Q3, If I want my personal premium account to sync with my iOS app, do I have to have iCloud sync setup?

There are a lot of moving parts here and seemingly lots of ways to screw it up (which I feel like I already have). Hopefully you help me out by giving me some best practices.

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

1Password Version: 6.0.Beta-2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:best practice for setting 1password personal with teams and iOS

Comments

• Hey @Wollyja! Those are some great questions. Here are some answers...

I understand that when logged into the fat-client from my mac, I use my personal account which by proxy gets me access to my team account. This is unless I log into the team account through a web browser, then I specifically need my team account passphrase.

That is correct. The Primary vault Master Password on your device will be used to unlock both your local and Teams vaults.

what is the best practice to tie in my iOS device? I'd like my passphrase to be the same on both my mac and my device. If I use the "join Team" when I first download the iOS app and use the QR code scanning feature, then I'm tied into using my Team passphrase on that device. This is not ideal. What is the best practice here?

The best way to keep things consistent is to sync your Mac's data with your iOS device. This will be with a service other than 1Password for Teams, of course. Once you sync your Mac's vault to your iOS device, its Master Password will be used to unlock the iOS app. However, you'll need to start over with 1Password on your iOS device in order to set things up properly. If you only have your Teams account currently, the Master Password the app uses won't change unless you remove it and the best way to do that is simply start over.

Why would I maintain a personal vault on my premium personal account when it looks like I get the same feature/functionality on the Team account?

We don't have "premium personal" accounts per se. Personal use of 1Password is done through the native apps. Data is fully in your hands, and then you can sync it to Dropbox, iCloud, or via local WiFi if you'd like to. You don't have to maintain your current 1Password vault at all if you don't want to. You can move everything over to your Teams account if you'd like to. There are a few differences between traditional sync and Teams, and you can read all about them in our FAQ for Existing 1Password Users.

It looks like the Team Account automatically syncs between the fat client and the iOS device (when originally configured to join the team account using the QR code method). In this case, do/should I set up iCloud sync? does it do anything different or are there other advantages/disadvantages?

It's actually not possible to set up external sync for a Teams vault. iCloud sync is only possible with a local vault, such as the Primary one that I mentioned earlier, or the vault that's currently on your Mac. The FAQ I mentioned before goes into a bit of detail on Teams and why it's different from traditional sync, so that should cover things here. :)

In relation to Q3, If I want my personal premium account to sync with my iOS app, do I have to have iCloud sync setup?

For your personal, local vault, syncing does require setting things up. To get things configured with iCloud, just follow these guides on your devices:

On your Mac: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-icloud.html
    On your iOS device: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/sync-with-icloud.html

That is, of course, providing that you don't prefer using Teams overall. It may be a great solution for you, but it's definitely worth looking into the differences between things and weighing the options a bit just in case. Hopefully this covers everything. Let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.