Ebay Checkout -> switch paypal account -> autofills (and submits) form behind popup

Options

I keep making payments from my work paypal account because 1pass submits the form behind the paypal login popup!

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @basda,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble filling your work PayPal login credentials! I've moved your message to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum. I hope you don't mind!

I'm having a little difficulty understanding the exact problem you described. Can you please go into a bit more detail about the steps you take on ebay.com (or paypal.com?), the steps you take in 1Password or the 1Password extension, what you see when you take those steps, and exactly what happens? From your description, I'm not quite sure what popup windows or login forms you're seeing, what gets filled (or doesn't get filled), and so on. The more details you can give us, the better.

In addition to that, can you please also let us know the following:

Thanks in advance! :)

• basda
    basda
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew, I'll try and clarify things a bit more.

• I have a paypal account connected to to my ebay account (it's my work one as most of my purchases are for work)
    • when I make a purchase, at the ebay checkout it shows my work paypal with a "switch accounts" button
    • I click switch accounts and a paypal login popup is shown
    • I press cmd+\ to fill the login
    • something behind the paypal login pop-up gets filled and the Pay button get's auto-clicked
    • the payment is made!

I've done this 3 times now so sure it's undesired 1pass behaviour, not me pressing the wrong button :)

I'm on chrome Version 47.0.2526.106 (64-bit)
    plugin: 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.5.1.90

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @basda,

There was another post not that long ago about the combination of eBay and PayPal. The problem is the only way to replicate it seems is to purchase something which it turns out neither the poor suffering user or myself had need to do.

The understanding of the situation was that eBay using an IFrame or similar to show a PayPal Login screen without leaving eBay. If this is the case the extension queries the tab for the URL and we get told eBay - not PayPal. One way to verify this would be to use the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ next time you've made a purchase. What this does is instead of automatically filling the web page it opens up 1Password mini, just as if you clicked the 1Password Browser icon. The reason I'm suggesting this is I'm wondering, do you in fact only see an Ebay Login item and no PayPal item being shown?

We're still at the identification stage of this right now because while I do have a Login item for both PayPal and eBay they've long been dormant and it seems you can only reach the required point after committing to a purchase. Understanding a bit more about what is happening will at least allow us to begin to understand what is happening as it seems like eBay have changed something.

• basda
    basda
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Bobby,
    I'll see if I can think of some office stationary i need and take a screen recording in the next couple of days!

H

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @basda,

If you're intending on making a purchase then anything you can help us understand about what is happening would be amazing. As I say, we may learn a lot by seeing what ⌥⌘\ reveals. Now if you're happy to create a screen recording (which can sometimes be so instructive for getting across a point) you may not want to post it here in our public forums which is perfectly understandable. Instead feel free to contact us via email at support+forum@agilebits.com and if you set the subject of the email to FAO: LittleBobbyTables whoever stumbles upon your email first will know to tap me on the shoulder. Thank you for your willingness to help :smile:

• john_eaton
    john_eaton
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having exactly the same problem -- when I complete a purchase in eBay and want to use Paypal, eBay brings ups PayPal pop-up log-in window -- but 1 Password doesn't recognize this a being PayPal and only offers eBay password. To get round this I have to manually open 1Password, copy my PaPal password, then paste into the PayPal login. Also, a related issue is when I log-in to eBay, 1 Password offers both my eBay password and my PayPal password to complete the log-in.
    Using 1 Password extension 4.5.3 in Safari

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@john_eaton Thanks for your post. I'm honestly not sure how to handle this given our current architecture. I suspect you would have the same issue if, for instance, a site that let you log in with Facebook loaded Facebook in an iframe. Right now, the extension sends the current tab's URL to 1Password and 1Password expects to see just one URL.

Supporting an advanced, cross-domain workflow will require some architectural changes and careful consideration to make sure that the filling messages get sent to the right forms in the page to guard against confusing login failures, locked accounts, or any other undesirable effect. It's a pretty substantial shift that we will have to address in the future when we have more resources available to make this improvement.

ref: OPX-1143

This discussion has been closed.