Custom form field auto-fill not working

kastork
kastork
Community Member

1Password, in the "web form details" section of the item allows you to specify all the form fields on the page and to mark which one should be the "username" and which one should be the "password". NOTE: I am not talking about the regular "custom fields" you can add to an item to at as reminders, like your security questions or other meta-data, I'm talking about the website form details.

Sometimes, some of the other form fields need values in order to complete the login (like, e.g., the American Airlines site which wants your last name in addition to a username and password -- crazy). Conveniently, 1Password allows you to save values for these other form fields in the 1Password item's "web form details", but unfortunately, when you use 1Password to fill the form on the website, only the "username" and "password" fields get filled in -- those extra fields remain empty.

Is there a mode or a preference or something somewhere that I'm missing, or is this destined to be a feature request?

1Password Version: 5.4.2
Extension Version: 5.4.1
OS Version: osx 10.11.2
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @kastork,

The current behaviour here is we don't just use the web form details to store the values of certain fields but we also use the fields to form a 'fingerprint' of the page. When you instruct 1Password to fill a page we compare the fingerprint of the current tab to the stored fingerprint. If the two match then we use the information in the web form details section and we call this Fill by HTML attribute. If the two fingerprints don't match then we fall back on what we call Fill by HTML designation and this form of filling will only attempt to fill the username and password values.

So if you add or remove a field from the web form details section of a Login item it changes the stored fingerprint and is unlikely to match meaning we fall back to Fill by HTML designation which you don't want to happen on any page that requires more than two fields to be filled. If the web page has changed at all so that the fingerprints don't match the same applies.

The best way forward is to try creating a brand new Login item using our How to manually save a Login guide. Does a new Login item fill better?

• kastork
    kastork
    Community Member

Generating a new login item worked, thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @kastork,

I'm glad to hear that helped :smile: If we can be of any more assistance with this or any other aspect of 1Password please let us know.

• ENDelt260
    ENDelt260
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Hm, I think I've got a complication resulting from a site using JS to modify the page content after the form is partially filled.

Visit https://login.paylocity.com Type any value in Company ID and User Name. Once both those fields are filled, the page displays a security image. I suspect that when you fill in your password and login, 1Password is saving the page layout including the image. Thus, upon next visit, the auto-fill will only complete the username/password, not the Company ID.

Is my analysis correct? Is there a work-around for a form such as this to allow all three fields to be filled?

EDIT: found a way. Filled in the form in order: password, username, then company id. Then, without tabbing out of the company id field, thus preventing the security image from appearing, I manually selected "Save Login" from the 1Password plug-in menu. This seems to have saved the form in such a way that it will auto-fill on future visits when the security image is absent.

There's gotta be better way than to jump through hoops like this. Is AgileBits working on improving this feature?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ENDelt260,

I’m glad that you were able to find a way to save the Login in a way that worked! Saving a new Login manually solves a lot of problems with uniquely designed websites.

There's gotta be better way than to jump through hoops like this.

Unfortunately, this site is a bit tricky because you’re right, they do some interesting stuff in the midst of the Login process. I’m not sure if there’s anything that 1Password can do to improve filling on this particular site, but I’ll be sure to pass the URL along to our filling gurus, just in case.

The good news though is that this site is unique. 1Password will save and fill much more simply on most of the web forms that you encounter.

This discussion has been closed.