Upgrading or New licenses

Options
jesslynh
jesslynh
Community Member

Our small business has 3 members. One already is a 1Password (Apple products) member with multiple devices. I am in 1Password demo mode and am a Windows/Android user. Our third member doesn't have 1Password at all.

I'd like us to switch from LastPass to 1Password, but am a bit confused on how to corral us all into correct licensing and how to implement our vault(s). We would like to have the setup be as seamless as LastPass and have individual vaults for personal sites as well as access a shared central vault and to that effort, Note that I've already setup the 1Password Team account.

Should I uninstall the individual account on my Windows machine? How to I import my existing information from my demo account into the Team account? Our member with the existing account will have the same issue as he'll be logging in with our business info, not his personal info.

I've been tasked to set this up and would like to get it right the 1st time as I don't think I understand the connection between the Team and the individual accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've been tasked to set this up and would like to get it right the 1st time as I don't think I understand the connection between the Team and the individual accounts.

@jesslynh: Ah, well you've come to the right place! I certainly wouldn't want you to paint yourself into a corner. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation!

"Classic" 1Password vaults are stored locally on a single device unless you sync them; 1Password for Teams vaults are stored on the server, and then a copy is cached locally for you to use on each device. "Classic" is individual- and device-centric; "Teams" is team- and server-centric.

I think the primary hurdle here is that 1Password for Windows (desktop) does not yet support 1Password for Teams. However, you can access 1Password for Teams through the browser on Windows, or if you're running Windows 10, you can use the new 1Password for Windows 10 beta app. If you're already using Dropbox Sync, it's easy. Just follow these steps:

1. Install 1Password for Windows 10 beta from the Windows Store
    2. Add your 1Password for Teams account
    3. Login to Dropbox and add your "individual" vault
    4. While viewing your Dropbox vault, click Select at the top, Select All, and then Share
    5. Choose your 1Password for Teams "Your Vault" to copy the items there
    6. Verify your data, and remove the Dropbox vault (... > Close), but you can keep it around temporarily as a backup

If not, please let me know, and we'll have to come up with another plan for you to migrate. But from your description, it sounds like 1Password for Teams is the way to go. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.