How can I log out of (deauthorize) the desktop application, and log in as a new user?

Options

I'm logged into the 1Password MacOS application as developer@*****.com. I want to log out of that account entirely, and start the authorization process from scratch, as user@*****.com.

How can I do that? I've hunted through the application and all of the preferences, and I don't see any way to log out. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the application, but it doesn't take me through the authorization process a second time—it remembers and uses the account I was logged into before.

(Why do I want to do this? My company is seriously considering 1Password for Teams, but I need to get the lay of the land first. That means seeing how the application works for different users with different privileges. Once I have a good feel for how everything works, and I'm ready to train users, I need to be able to step through the setup process from scratch, so I can write instructions for users to follow.)

1Password Version: 6.0 (600008)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• immersiontravis
    immersiontravis
    Community Member
    Options

Actually: I may be confused. I have removed all teams from Preferences > Teams, so the only vault I see anywhere is the "Primary" vault.

Does that mean that I'm not, in fact, logged in? i.e., is the "Primary" vault solely a local vault—encrypted with my master password, but not associated with any email address, and not synced to 1Password's servers?

• immersiontravis
    immersiontravis
    Community Member
    Options

If that's correct—and, after some experimentation, I think it is—that means that my users actually have two 1Password master passwords: one for their "Primary" vault, and one for their Teams login.

At this point, I'm starting to think that 1Password for Teams might just be too confusing for my non-technical users. (Actually, it's just the desktop application experience that's problematic—if I encourage them to simply use the web interface instead, they might be OK. )

• Jacob
    edited January 2016
    Options

Howdy @immersiontravis! It sounds like you've worked some of the details out yourself.

Actually: I may be confused. I have removed all teams from Preferences > Teams, so the only vault I see anywhere is the "Primary" vault.
    Does that mean that I'm not, in fact, logged in? i.e., is the "Primary" vault solely a local vault—encrypted with my master password, but not associated with any email address, and not synced to 1Password's servers?

Yep! That is correct. 1Password started as a local-only password manager, and for personal use it is still this way. You can choose to sync your data to the Dropbox or iCloud, or via WiFi locally to your mobile devices. Teams is a new concept that was introduced to make things a bit simpler mainly for sharing, but it can also be used for individuals and we expect that will be the case for many people. :)

At this point, I'm starting to think that 1Password for Teams might just be too confusing for my non-technical users. (Actually, it's just the desktop application experience that's problematic—if I encourage them to simply use the web interface instead, they might be OK. )

Well I'm sorry to hear that. The desktop client is the coolest part, because it allows you to fill things in the browser when combined with the 1Password extensions. Otherwise you'd need to copy and paste things from the Teams web interface. And if that works for you, great! :) We're just excited to have some integration with a native app. If you have some suggestions for how to improve it, they are welcome. We'd love to hear what you think.

• immersiontravis
    immersiontravis
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Great—thanks. I think I'm starting to understand how everything fits together.

Over in another thread, I'm told that it's possible to eliminate the "Primary" vault altogether, so that will remove some of the complexity.

• Hi @immersiontravis,

That's correct, you can get rid of the "Primary" vault by following our Starting Over guide. This will completely remove all data from 1Password, and let you start over as a new user. From there you'll be able to Sign In to 1Password for Teams and have your vaults without the need for the Primary Vault.

You'll want to make sure that you're up to date and that your data is in sync with the server. Doing this should be pretty easy: just edit an item on your Mac, then sign in to the website and make sure that the change appears there as well.

I hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.