Autofill with chrome extension in ios9

Options

When using the 1password extension for Chrome under IOS 9.2 I cannot get it to autofill login details on webpages. I have apparently successfully installed the extension as it appears on the share menu and accesses the relevant login details in 1password. But it simply will not insert the login details into the web page. I have tried this with a range of web pages but to no avail.

I have the extension installed for safari and that works fine so the problem seems to be with the chrome extension. I am working with the latest version of Chrome for IOS and the latest version of IOS. The version of 1passord on IOS is 6.1.2

Has anyone else had this problem and are there suggestions for what things I might try.

I am a new user of 1Password and everything except for this is working brilliantly. Very impressed with this software

1Password Version: 6.1.2
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: IOS 9.2
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dadevaus,

I've just downloaded the Chrome iOS app and I tried to replicate your findings using one of my default goto sites which is Amazon. Everything worked okay and the login form filled. It sounds like you're saying you can get the 1Password extension interface to display and that it's showing you the correct Login items but the issue happens after you've selected an item. Is that a good understanding of the issue?

When you're testing between the two browsers are you testing the same sites in both?

It looks like it should work so hopefully we can figure this out :smile:

• dadevaus
    dadevaus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for following up on this. You are correct in your interpretation of the issue I'm experiencing - I get the 1password interface via Chrome IOS extension but it has not been inserting the info into the fields on the web login fields. On the same sites Safari was working.

Now for the interesting bit. After reading your comment I tried things on Amazon and it worked fine. Tried on a couple of other sites and it worked fine. I returned to the three sites I tried yesterday and it would not work with Chrome but would work via Safari. So, apart from my bad luck in testing on three problem sites yesterday, the question now becomes why will the Chrome IOS extension work on some sites and not others while safari seems to work on all the sites? I can give you the URLs of the sites I tried unsuccessfully if that would help.

Once again thanks for your help

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @dadevaus,

That certainly is interesting and quite unlucky if you managed to select those for your initial testing. I would indeed love to know the URLs of the sites in question so I could check them out. Are you happy to post the URLs in our public forums or would you prefer to send them to us in an email? It's a preference thing, I've found some people don't like posting URLs and we don't mind if it moves to email. If you're happy posting them here though we'll keep the conversation going here and maybe it can help others too :smile:

• dadevaus
    dadevaus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. The three sites I initially tested were www.eagleamerica.com; www.bikebug.com and www.carbatec.com.au. I'll be interested in whether you encounter the same problem and can point to possible resolutions. Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dadevaus,

I've tried all three and just like yourself I can't get the to fill in iOS Chrome while they work perfectly in iOS Safari and in 1Browser, the predecessor to the 1Password iOS Extension. I'll report these to the developer that concentrates on the iOS extension and see if he can figure out what is going on :smile:

ref: OPX-1105

• dadevaus
    dadevaus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.. I'll be interested to see what the developer comes up with

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As will I :smile:

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @dadevaus,

My colleague, @littlebobbytables, asked me to chime in assisting you with this question.

By the looks of it, Chrome is not using our Web View Filling capability from our App Extension API. They seem to be using their own filling logic instead of our brain filling logic used by the Web View Filling capability. Unfortunately, there is nothing that we can do to fix it on our end.

We've done some investigating here, and it appears that Chrome is already aware of this issue and is working to resolve it. Please note that if you encounter any other filling issues in Chrome for iOS, please report them directly to Chrome.

Please let us know if there’s anything else I can do to help :smile:

Cheers!

• dadevaus
    dadevaus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I hope Chrome come up with a solution. Seems odd that it works on some sites and not others though.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @dadevaus,

The oddity will be down to how our different approaches to filling work. Even a seemingly simple site can look really, really weird under the hood. Having just learnt myself about this (Rad's post was an education for me too) I can't comment on how Chrome's filling approach works as it's essentially a black box where all we know is what goes in and what we observe at the other end. We can hit bumps too as trying to come up with an approach that works with 100% of the sites out there is nigh on impossible given the creativity that some people put into developing something as simple as a login page.

This discussion has been closed.