Creating Custom Groups

Options
jfelchner
jfelchner
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Business and Teams

Currently the groups available are much too broad. For example we have a user who I would want to give "create" access to vaults and "assign" access to vaults they are allowed to administer, but I don't want them to be able to see every vault and definitely don't want them to be able to allow them to view every vault.

As it stands now, in order to allow them to create a vault, I must also give them access to every vault.

What I would prefer is something similar to the prompt when adding someone to a vault except relating to vaults when creating a group.

• Create a Vault
  • Assign users to any vault
  • Delete any vault
  • View any Vault
  • Create new Users
  • Delete Users

etc, you get the idea.

Then I can have granular control over the ability my groups of users have and you don't have to play the game of catch up trying to decide which are the "correct" default groups to have which will benefit the most users. Users can decide for themselves.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jfelchner,

Love seeing new threads with your name next to it. :) Thanks for the detailed feedback as always. Groups are going to get better. 1Password for Teams had group support from day 1, but we disabled them at the UI level a couple months before release because we weren't happy with them and the complexity they brought versus the value. We're slowly reviving them and trying hard to solve the complexity issues that we were encountering.

Hopefully we can get groups to become as powerful as you'd like them to be.

Rick

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion :) Awesome news. Thank you.

• You're welcome.

Rick

• Please note that "Add users to a vault" permission is already available. Any user with "Manage" vault permission can add users to this vault.

It won't be possible to implement the global "Assign users to ANY vault" permission. Before someone could add another person to a vault, they must first have access (the vault encryption keys) themselves. Same is true for "View any Vault" permission. Both of them are controlled not just through a policy but also with crypto.

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem isn't an admin able to "assign any user to any vault"? Sorry but I've never logged in as another admin. I'm assuming that an admin can see every vault in the vault list and, if desired, can add themselves to any vault that they don't have access to.

• @jfelchner Admin is able to assign any user to any vault that admin has access to. It is unusual but possible to create vaults without giving access to them to the Admins group (there is a checkbox that can be unchecked when the vault is created).

We are still tweaking how groups work and hope to publish new changes soon. Currently we have hard-coded groups and permissions. At some point we would like to allow users to tweak the permissions for each group.

Here is the list of permissions we got so far:

PermissionRecover          = 0x000001
        PermissionViewAdminConsole = 0x000002 // Show the admin console on the client

PermissionViewPeople       = 0x000010 // Show the people list in the admin console
        PermissionAddPerson        = 0x000020
        PermissionChangePersonName = 0x000040
        PermissionSuspendPerson    = 0x000080
        PermissionDeletePerson     = 0x000100

PermissionViewVaults       = 0x000200 // Show the vault list in the admin console
        PermissionUsePersonalVault = 0x000400 // Allow users to see and use their personal/private vaults
        PermissionAddVault         = 0x000800
        PermissionDeleteVault      = 0x001000

PermissionViewGroups   = 0x004000 // Show the group list in the admin console
        PermissionManageGroups = 0x008000

PermissionViewTeamSettings   = 0x010000 // Show the settings tab in admin console
        PermissionChangeTeamSettings = 0x020000
        PermissionChangeTeamAttrs    = 0x040000
        PermissionChangeTeamDomain   = 0x080000
        PermissionSuspendTeam        = 0x100000
        PermissionDeleteTeam         = 0x200000

PermissionViewBilling   = 0x400000 // Show the billing tab in the admin console
        PermissionManageBilling = 0x800000

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem ahhhhhhhh I did not know that's how it worked (obviously ;)) Thank you so much for clearing that up!!

So if I create a vault and do not check the admin checkbox, not even admins can see it. That works much better for my situation currently (so that's awesome), but is also quite a delima because one would assume (or at least I would hahaha) that an admin would have superuser powers and have access to everything in the account.

• @jfelchner We got the Owners group for that.

We didn't make that change yet, hope to make it soon -- the members of the Owners group will always be added to every team vault with "Manage Only" permissions. That would allow Owners to manage the vaults but do not see them on their Home screen.

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem you're killin it man! Keep up the great work. It's appreciated. :)

• rob
    Options

Glad you're excited, @jfelchner! I'm pretty excited to get these changes implemented, too. I think it will solve a lot of problems. :)

• kylev
    kylev
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any update on this? I'd love to be able to simply manage a group to give members of it access to a set of vaults rather than adding users to each of those vaults individually.

• Jacob
    Options

@kylev Thanks for checking in. I don't have any updates to share at the moment, but we are working on it. :) Be sure to check the announcements at the top of this forum new beta builds. You'll hear about it in there first.

• lucascantor
    lucascantor
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@kylev @penderworth this would be my primary use case for custom groups as well. I'd like to be able to create groups for departments within my company, and for members of groups to automatically receive access to multiple vaults in bulk. Without this functionality, allocating vault access in 1Password for Teams on a user-by-user basis could become tedious and error-prone as my company grows.

• Jacob
    Options

@lucascantor That does seem to be the main use case. I can see the interest, too. At the moment, I'd recommend using separate vaults for each department. I know that doesn't work across the board, but we're planning on adding custom groups in the future as I mentioned before. :) We did make allocating access a bit easier in each vault in that all you need to do is click the user to select them and add them to that vault. We're getting there.

This discussion has been closed.