What do I with OS keychain, it keeps asking to save passwords on top of 1 password. Do I save?

Options
giff42
giff42
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

OS keychain keeps asking to save passwords, do I hit save? I would rather count on only 1 security protection in force to eliminate confusion. Can I turn off the OS keychain feature and have 1 Password the only provider.

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: 600007
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:What do I do with OS keychain, it keeps asking to save passwords on top of 1 password.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@giff42 - Technically, you can use the OS's keychain along with 1Password, but I also don't care for that. You can make that stop from the Safari Preferences, under the Passwords tab. Uncheck the box to "AutoFill user names and passwords." Also, delete all the entries that likely are already in the list under that. That's what I've done. There are similar options in the other supported browsers, if Safari isn't your choice. I Firefox, the option is in the Security section of Preferences. I don't know where the option is for Chrome, but I'm confident it's there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @giff42,

Did hawkmoth's post help? If you still aren't sure of anything or we've misunderstood at all please do let us know. I didn't make the connection to Safari as quick as hawkmoth but I think he picked up on the correct question.

In Chrome the ability to turn off the built-in password manager is in chrome://settings/ and you have to show the advanced settings to discover it.

• giff42
    giff42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guy's. I have turned it off in Safari but I will leave the password history in place until they are each converted to 1 Password. Will remove them one at a time as I can then find passwords if there is problems with a site instead of having to go through the lost password routine.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @giff42,

That sounds like a sensible approach to me :smile: I would not just have 1Password save the Login but I would also log out and try logging in using 1Password. That way you can have peace of mind as you adjust to 1Password. Also, if you come across a site that has problems please do contact us to see if we can help :smile:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@giff42 ,

There is a keychain converter in the converter suite. This will help you export your OS X Keychain items and convert them into a 1Password importable 1PIF file.

This discussion has been closed.