Forgot primary iCloud vault password

Options
nosralkj
nosralkj
Community Member

I have forgotten my iCloud primary vault pw and my iOS devices have stopped syncing. I have established a new vault in addition to the primary one but still cannot sync to the new one. I am willing to delete all the iCloud data and start over, but when I attempt to do this I get the following error message "The operation couldn’t be completed. (CKErrorDomain error 9.)" I need further help.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OS = 10.11.2 iOS = 9.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: ug:mac/add-items-to-a-vault, ug:mac/sync-icloud, ug:ios/sync-with-icloud, kb:icloud-troubleshooting, kb:icloud-remove-data

Comments

• nosralkj
    nosralkj
    Community Member
    Options

I have created a new item on one of the iPads which did sync with the second iPad. It did not sync with the Mac.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@nosralkj -

For your Mac, follow the instructions here: How do I start over with an empty vault? Note that there are separate instructions, depending on where your copy of 1Password originated - Mac App Store or AgileBits web store.

For iOS, the directions are titled the same, but the directions are iOS specific: How do I start over with an empty vault?

• Hey @nosralkj,

Sorry to hear that. Did the guides that hawkmoth linked to help get things sorted out?

• nosralkj
    nosralkj
    Community Member
    Options

Still have a problem. I downloaded 1Password from the Agilebits website. I have moved files to the desktop as in "How do I start over with an empty vault?" I quit 1Password using control/quit. Rebooted my Mac and then opened 1Password which is version 6.0.1. I clicked on "Already have 1Password data somewhere else?" but can't find the necessary files. The instructions are for version 5. Is version 6 different for this process?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nosralkj,

There was an oversight when we added support for syncing to iCloud in the AgileBits Store version and we do have a bug report that details if we're going to allow users to sync to iCloud in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac then it had better be in the new setup experience to allow them to pull their data down from iCloud.

There is a way to use the data in iCloud despite this omission though.

1. Create a brand new vault in 1Password and use the same Master Password as will unlock the iCloud Sync data. Technically you don't have to but it skips a step later.
    2. Sync this new and empty vault using iCloud Sync.

The result will be it copies everything from iCloud and all of your Master Passwords are correct as you used the same one.

You're correct, the first launch experience has change significantly in 1Password 6 for Mac and we'll be updating our documents for all the differences. Until then this image should be the only one you need given you can't connect to iCloud Sync directly in the AgileBits Store version.

Once you click on the Create a New Vault button it will guide you through the process of creating a new vault. As I say, after that if you set this new primary vault to sync to iCloud it will pull down the existing iCloud Sync data and populate the empty vault with it. It's more steps than there should be but until we resolve this at least it is possible to connect to your data in iCloud.

ref: OPM-3621

• nosralkj
    nosralkj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all the suggestions, but as best I can tell they all fail because I cannot remember the password (master password?) for the primary vault on iCloud. I included this problem in my initial post. I followed the directions to create an empty vault on my Mac which is where I am at now. I cannot "pull down the existing iCloud Sync data" because I cannot remember the password for the primary vault on iCloud. Since I can't remember this password is there any way to delete/destroy the primary vault on iCloud? If this is possible, I can reenter my 1Password data and resync with iCloud and will be sure to make written note of the password for this vault. This way I will have a primary vault I can use if future issues like this occur.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nosralkj,

Sorry, that's completely my fault for not properly picking up on the full request. This will allow you to purge the existing iCloud Sync data without going through 1Password for Mac.

1. Open System Preferences > iCloud.
    2. Click on the Manage... button.
    3. Select the 1Password entry in the list on the left hand side.
    4. Click the Delete Documents and Data button that appears on the right hand side and confirm that you want to delete the 1Password data from iCloud.

This will have the same effect as the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data menu option but in a more manual way. You will then be free to connect to iCloud sync and have it create a new iCloud container and not attempt demand to merge with the old one.

ref: OPM-3685

• nosralkj
    nosralkj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to all of you who responded to my posts. My problem is solved.

• @nosralkj On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're welcome. We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.