Please improve password generator (chrome etc)

carpii
carpii
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Firstly, I love 1Password, and its so deeply routed into my online workflow I cant imagine anything ever replacing it.

But one thing that has always mystified me, is the password generator feature
Im talking about the one in the browser extension, in my case Chrome.

1) Sometimes you just want to regenerate the random password it's given you, for whatever reason.
But to do this you have to adjust the 'length' slider up a notch and then back again.
I'd love to see a simple button you can click to regen it, without having to fiddling about with the slider

2) On a similar note, sometimes you just want to generate a password from your desktop for whatever reason.
At least on Mac, this doesn't seem to be possible
You instead have to create a new 1Pass login, generate the password from there, copy it and then Cancel the 1Pass record so it doesn't get saved. It's all pretty cumbersome.

I wish 1Pass could just provide the 'password generator' feature as a separate dialog, which could the be brought up on demand via a keyboard shortcut.
In an ideal world, you could launch 1Pass with a certain command line parameter, and it would load up and show the password generator (for great integration with Alfred etc). That would be really awesome.

Really hope you can consider my feedback, thanks!

1Password Version: 4.4.3 (443000) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: 4.5.2.90
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Howdy @carpii,

Thank you for the kind words about 1Password. :) Here are some answers to your questions.

1) Sometimes you just want to regenerate the random password it's given you, for whatever reason. But to do this you have to adjust the 'length' slider up a notch and then back again. I'd love to see a simple button you can click to regen it, without having to fiddling about with the slider

There is actually a button: The length slider itself. Just click the bit that you would usually click and drag. That will regenerate the password. You can click it as many times as you'd like without changing the length of the password. You can also click any of the other sliders in the window to perform the same action. :)

2) On a similar note, sometimes you just want to generate a password from your desktop for whatever reason. At least on Mac, this doesn't seem to be possible You instead have to create a new 1Pass login, generate the password from there, copy it and then Cancel the 1Pass record so it doesn't get saved. It's all pretty cumbersome.

Have you tried using 1Password mini for this? You can use the same means that you mentioned above to generate it, then copy it to your clipboard rather than filling it (if you're outside of a browser this will be the only option). You could also use the main app to create a Password item and generate the password from there. No Login creation or destruction necessary here.

Lastly, I'd like to note is that you're using 1Password 4, and we're currently at version 6. It requires OS X 10.10 Yosemite or newer, but I would highly recommend the upgrade. It's free, both for OS X and 1Password, and there are lots of new features you may enjoy. :) It's also good to note that if we do make changes to the generator, they will only be reflected in the newest version. Hope that helps answer your questions! If you have any others, were happy to help.

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

Hi @penderworth

Thanks for the response :)

There is actually a button: The length slider itself.

This doesn't work for me, most likely because I'm out of date.
    I hope to upgrade soon, but right now Im still stuck on Mavericks due to my scanner software not being updated yet.

Have you tried using 1Password mini for this?

I do use 1Pass Mini, but its still a little cumbersome for keyboard junkies like myself
    You can right arrow to open the password generator, but as far as I can tell, you then really have to resort to the mouse to copy the password.

I notice 1Pass Mini has many keyboard shortcuts, I wonder if we could have a new shortcut added which simply generates a brand new password and copies it to clipboard?

On a final note, I guess you might already be aware of sudolikeaboss... https://github.com/ravenac95/sudolikeaboss
    This adds 1Password integration into iTerm2, so you can use it for ssh passwords, passphrases or whatever non-browser authentication you like. Its still a little quirky though, would love to see better console integration built into 1Pass core.

Thanks!

• @carpii No problem at all! :)

I hope to upgrade soon, but right now Im still stuck on Mavericks due to my scanner software not being updated yet.

Sounds great! Yosemite and El Capitan have brought many fantastic features.

I do use 1Pass Mini, but its still a little cumbersome for keyboard junkies like myself
    You can right arrow to open the password generator, but as far as I can tell, you then really have to resort to the mouse to copy the password.
    I notice 1Pass Mini has many keyboard shortcuts, I wonder if we could have a new shortcut added which simply generates a brand new password and copies it to clipboard?

Actually, in the latest version of 1Password (I'm not sure about things before now because I haven't tried this before), the mini app allows you to simply press enter in the Password Generator to copy the generated password. Nice, simple, and exactly what you wanted. :wink:

On a final note, I guess you might already be aware of sudolikeaboss... https://github.com/ravenac95/sudolikeaboss
    This adds 1Password integration into iTerm2, so you can use it for ssh passwords, passphrases or whatever non-browser authentication you like. Its still a little quirky though, would love to see better console integration built into 1Pass core.

I've personally not heard of this before, though the rest of the team has. That's a fantastic integration. I use SSH keys so I don't need to use a password every time, but it's definitely a great way of doing things. We're hoping to improve our non-browser integrations in the future. Quite a few people have an interest in them. We're just figuring out the best way of doing it. :)

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member

Hi @penderworth

Quite a long time since I submitted this suggestion, but I finally upgraded to El Capitan earlier in the week, and so also upgraded from 1Pass 4 to 6.

I see there is now a button to 'Regenerate Password' in 1Pass mini.
    This is a great improvement, thankyou! :)

I wonder if you could also consider adding a keyboard shortcut which just clicks the new 'Regenerate button' please?
    This would allow 1Pass Mini to (re)generate passwords using only the keyboard

the mini app allows you to simply press enter in the Password Generator to copy the generated password

This doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps it was changed since you posted.
    Not an issue anyway, as I've noticed CMD+C achieves the same thing

I've personally not heard of this before, though the rest of the team has.
    That's a fantastic integration.
    I use SSH keys so I don't need to use a password every time, but it's definitely a great way of doing things

I'm still using sudolikeaboss. I agree its very nice.
    I use ssh-keys for actual ssh logins too, but its useful for passwords you need inside an ssh session, such as mysql root password etc

Thanks

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@carpii,

Quite a long time since I submitted this suggestion, but I finally upgraded to El Capitan earlier in the week, and so also upgraded from 1Pass 4 to 6.

Both are very nice upgrades! I know you will enjoy them. :)

I see there is now a button to 'Regenerate Password' in 1Pass mini.
    This is a great improvement, thankyou! :)

It's our pleasure!

I wonder if you could also consider adding a keyboard shortcut which just clicks the new 'Regenerate button' please?

I'll mention this to the team. Thanks for the suggestion. :+1:

Not an issue anyway, as I've noticed CMD+C achieves the same thing

Sorry for the confusion. Pressing Return will fill the generated password on a website (which is obviously not possible if there is no active browser window). As you discovered, Command-C will copy the password, and that works whether you are in a browser or not.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Thanks @khad, for the quick reply,

Have a great weekend :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It's my pleasure. You as well!

This discussion has been closed.