Profile filling fails on Mac-imported LastPass items

Options
dszp
dszp
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

In November, I used the Mac 1Password 5 application to import all of my passwords (around 1,000) and profiles, etc. from LastPass to 1Password, then used Dropbox sync to share around to iOS and Windows. The logins appear to work fine, but every time I've tried to use one of the Identities or Wallet entries to fill shipping or credit card information, nothing fills (definitely in Chrome). I don't even have a specific site example, though I can come up with one next time I need it or even do some tests somewhere, but I've tried it around 10 times on different sites that should be pretty standard HTML with no fields filling at all. Is this likely a side-effect of the import, or something else? I've edited a Wallet entry prior to filling and editing/saving doesn't seem to help. Is there a way to resolve this without recreating the entries manually?

Note: I've just run a test using a new profile (just first and last name) and an existing profile (imported, two different ones of my six profiles) at the checkout page at keyboardco.com if you add an item to your cart and check out for credit card payment. At the checkout I select two existing profiles from the 1Password add-in in Chrome, nothing fills. When I select a new test profile from the same menu, my first and last name fill correctly under Invoice Information.

Note that this form asked me for version details originally but those have disappeared. I'm running 1Password for Windows 4.6.0.598, 1Password Chrome Beta 4.5.2.3 (extension version), syncing with Dropbox to iOS and 1Password 6 on Mac (both latest stable versions).

(Originally posted in Windows but moved to Saving and Filling in Browsers as that's probably more appropriate.)

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @dszp. Thanks for writing. I'm sorry for the trouble you've had with your imported items. Did you import these using the import scripts built into 1Password or using the ones that are available on Github?

I suspect that there are two of each of the fields that imported, one that is the built-in, protected field, and another that looks to 1Password like a custom field. You can check this theory by enabling the 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Copy JSON menu item. Copy the JSON by choosing Item > Copy JSON and paste it into a text editor somewhere. (Be careful with this file. It's got your data from the item unencrypted!) Then, in another file, hold the Option key down and choose Item > Copy Extension JSON My suspicion is that the second one will have either an entirely empty secureContents object or it will have keys with empty strings for the values.

Now, if all of my theorizing here is correct, I think I will need to check with our Mac team to determine how to handle this situation. But, that will be putting the cart before the horse. Please let me know what you find (Use an @mention so I get notified! :smile:) and we'll figure out how to make this better for the future.

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 I imported this data into 1Password 5 on Mac after exporting from LastPass, using the built-in LastPass import function, not the one from GitHub (that one I finally got around to messing with to import my mom's data last week). The logins work (over 900 of them) but the Profiles and Wallets do not (fewer of them, fortunately, but still over 30).

I primarily use the Windows app and that's where I'm having the trouble (maybe also on Mac, I'll check later). There's a Help->Advanced->Copy JSON option in Windows that lets me paste what looks like the real data into a text editor. There does not appear to be a Copy Extension JSON option I can find; only Copy UUID. I assume this is Mac only (and I note you mention the 1Password Menu and the Option key so that's where you're working obviously). I'll give that a try later tonight and see what comes up. Thanks.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 On the Mac pasting the result of Copy Extension JSON works fine. It's a shorter result but contains all of the information from the record inside of secureContents (birthdate, phone, zip, address, etc.), basically an entry for all the stuff that's filled out with the correct info. The new test entry I made from scratch that fills fine looks similar (with fewer fields) when JSON vs. Extension JSON is copied and pasted.

Unlike on Windows, filling out an identity on the keyboardco.com checkout page results in the Invoice Information being filled out mostly (not perfectly, but a lot). Interestingly, multiple of the original Identities do NOT fill out first and last name, just address/company/email/phone, even though they have first and last name fields filled. However, filling with the new test that just has first and last name saved DOES fill out first and last name on the form (refreshing in between tries to default the form). If I fill an old entry first, then fill the new test without defaulting the form, it overwrites the rest of the fields with blank/default info and just fills in the name, but vice versa with the new test first (filling in name) leaves the name there and doesn't blank it when filling the rest of the info from a second autofill of an original (imported) identity. Odd behavior...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dszp,

I can help a bit with the difference between Windows and Mac once you've got items that correctly fill on the Mac. The two platforms have been developed quite independently of each other though of course there is communication between the two over formats and standards. There has been a small breakdown in communication it seems though at some point and I believe it relates to the differences between the Agile Keychain and OPVault formats.

Once you have a working Credit Card or Identity item on the Mac move to your Windows machine and confirm filling isn't working as expected. Can you now click the edit button in 1Password for Windows and simply click save. If you now attempt to fill again do you find it fills like it does on the Mac? You won't have to alter any data, it's just that 1Password for Windows is creating a bit more data that it uses when passing stuff to the extension that the Mac isn't generating by default.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I am quite aware of the differences on the platforms :-) As a recent 5-year LastPass convert, I've read most of the 1Password KB, a large chunk of the forums and most Twitter conversations for the last two months, and used three platforms for hours each (tested the 1Password Alpha and Beta as well, though I'm much less impressed with it's GUI and lack of browser filling, though I'm aware of the reasons for its limitations). I've also read the specs of the Agilekeychain and OPVault formats. I'm using OPVault, probably not surprisingly given it's additional security.

I upgraded on Mac from 6.0 to 6.0.1 with no change. The newly created Identity fills just fine (it only has first and last name in it). The old identity does NOT fill the first name and last name, but fills most of the rest of the fields (it misses a couple, but I'm assuming those are just poorly-named form fields). It's the inconsistency of the first/last name not working on one but working on the other that's odd.

I will be on my Windows system in a few minutes and will try again, I'm pretty sure I've edited/saved all of my Identities on that system as I've been systematically auditing all of my 1Password items since the import (tossed ~200 logins that weren't even valid any longer so far!) but I will edit, save and attempt again to confirm. Honestly I use Windows more, so the oddity on Mac is...odd...but the fact that the Identities have never filled a single field on Windows across multiple betas and current stable version (and multiple beta Chrome extensions) is the real main issue for me. I could just recreate the identities and wallets, worst case I will do so, but I figured if there is a bug somewhere let's try and track it down as I'm not in a huge hurry and it might be helpful to others.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables @brenty (from duplicate unintentional post, see discussion 271379 for note about duplicate, prob. needs merged), I replicated the no-fill for imported Identities issue on Windows, then edited and saved (with no changes) the Identity on Windows. Then I reloaded the page and retried filling. It now matches the Mac behavior with the same entry, billing most but first and last name, whereas a brand new Identity with first and last name filled out only, fills first/last name just fine.

I tried this on two Identities with the same results. I deleted the first/middle/last name fields, saved, then added them back manually and saved, to one of them, and with no changes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dszp: Following up here from your post in the Windows category of the forums (thanks!). I'm afraid that I may not be on the same page with you after moving between discussions. We'll get there!

In my original reply to you, I mentioned the possibility of a pending update. I should have been more specific. I was referring to Chrome. This will break extensions until it's restarted. It sounds like you've probably done so already, but just double-check About for me, just in case.

For some reason I had been under the impression that the newly created test Identity item was also not filling correctly for you. But reading your replies here, it sounds like that may not be the case. If you're able to fill only using the new test item, then it does sound like there may be some issue with the imported data. But if you're not able to fill from either the test or the import, then there's something else going on, because after my own brief update issue I was able to fill on both a test page and your example. It also now sounds like you're having trouble on OS X as well as Windows.

Please forgive my confusion. We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty No problem, there are a lot of moving parts here :-) I'm on Chrome version 47.0.2526.111 and haven't restarted it since starting this thread, and no update is pending. I have had extensions break from pending upgrades on Mac and Windows before, however. I can fill passwords just fine, and some Identities.

The newly-created (in Windows) test item, which just has a first and last name in it, fills fine on Mac and Windows. The unedited-on-Windows Identities (and Wallets, just shortening for brevity) were not filling out any fields originally. After opening Edit window on Windows and saving (with no changes), now two of them where I tried this fill out address info but not first and last name (which I would chalk up to not recognizing the fields on the form, except that the test identity fills these two fields just fine!).

I have reloaded the page each time before trying to fill so previous attempt to fill won't mess with the new attempts.

I honestly don't recall if the Identities in question are filling 100% properly on Mac, I'll have to check tonight as my Mac is not with me at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dszp: Thanks for following up! Definitely double-check Chrome. I've got 48.0.2564.82 m on both OS X and Windows now, so there may be some weirdness going on there for you as well.

For reference, I've been testing primarily with the following sites:

AgileBits test

Keyboard Company

I'm still not able to reproduce this, however. So if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report for each machine where you're having the identity filling problem and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for that link to the AgileBits test page, quite useful! I finally had time this evening to test on both my Mac and Windows systems on that page. Some odd results:

On Mac, I can fill all Identities, but pre-existing ones (edited on Windows or not) do NOT fill in any first/middle/last name fields. The rest of the fields seem to work. The newly-created-on-Windows test item that just has name fields fills in name fields just fine.

On Windows, The two identities I've edited/saved on Windows work just like on Mac, no names. Ones I haven't edited on Windows don't fill in any fields. And the new test fills in the name alone just fine, like on Mac.

For Wallet entries, which I've not edited on Windows that I recall, on Mac several I tested at random do fully fill on the test page just fine. On Windows, those same Wallet entries do NOT fill any of the credit card fields on the test page, just like the unedited Identities above that also fill in nothing on Windows.

All of this was done with Chrome 47.0.2526.111, prior to updating. I just went to the About page in Chrome and it started downloading an update though, so that's fun :-) Will retry after relaunching as well, but after sending the diag reports.

I will send along some diagnostic reports from both systems soon, thanks!

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Chrome upgraded to 48.0.2564.82 and restarted. No changes to above behavior at test site. Windows diag report is ID [#QGR-73811-764].

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I've submitted the report from Mac as well, put the same diag ID above in subject line, hopefully that'll attach to the original ID automatically. Chrome version 48.0.2564.82 on Mac, just upgraded and relaunched before testing again and then sending report. No changes, wallets still fill (on Mac), Identities all fill except first/last name except the new test which does fill name.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

@dszp: Thanks! I was able to take a look at the diagnostics, and it isn't clear what could be causing this strange issue. I'd like to take some additional time and have others take a look to see if something jumps out at them, but I have one thing I'd like you to try.

Now, I warn you, this is going to sound pretty silly, given that new Identities work for you...but the one commonality I see between machines is your Chrome extensions. Can you try disabling those other than 1Password temporarily and see if that helps?

ref: QGR-73811-764

This discussion has been closed.