Is there a performance hit when unlocking multiple vaults?

I just signed up for 1Password for teams beta. Here's what I currently have, data-wise: 2 individual vaults, one synchronized with iCloud, one with dropbox. 3 vaults in Teams. It seems that after adding the beta account into 1Password, the unlock speed for my vault has slowed down to a more noticeable speed. It used to take around a half second to unlock. Now, I'm looking at a 3-5 second delay after entering my master password.

Was wondering if anyone else was seeing this behavior?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.0 (600008) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.4.4.
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud, Dropbox, Teams

Comments

• Hi @npadley,

Thanks for writing in. That's an excellent question. There's going to be a small performance hit for every account and every vault. Basically you can think of it as nesting dolls. When you're unlocking, you're unlocking your Primary vault. Once we have your Primary vault unlocked, we can use its keys to unlock each Teams account. Once the Team accounts are unlocked, we can use their keys to unlock each vault. This should all happen relatively quickly though, and I wouldn't expect anything near 3-5 seconds unless you have a very large number of vaults (hundreds?) in Teams.

There's currently a bit of extra work that's happening after the unlock that might be accounting for some of the slow down. At every unlock we're now triggering vault sync for each Team, and while the majority of the sync work happens after you've seen the unlock animation, there's still some of the setup that happens between when the unlock happens and when you get to see the animation. It's on my todo list to move this work around so that it doesn't slow down unlock.

If you'd like me to take a closer look at this, feel free to create a Diagnostics Report and email it to support@1password.com. Include a link to this forum thread in the email so that we can connect the dots. You should get back a support request id nearly immediately from our support system. Feel free to post that request id into this thread so that we can more easily jump back and forth between the two systems.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• npadley
    npadley
    Community Member

Hi Rick - that would explain the behavior. It does seem like the unlock animation runs then it hangs for those few seconds. So, the extra sync would explain why it is behaving in that manner.

• Glad Rick could help you there. I had no idea, haha. Let us know if you end up sending in a Diagnostics Report for him to look through! :)

This discussion has been closed.