Minor bug: 1Password Mini does not change opacity in inactive menu bar

floridiculous
floridiculous
Community Member

In multi-monitor setups the menu bar has a reduced transparency on screens that are not currently in use. Then, icons in the menu bar appear faded too. Since 1Password's update to 6.0, the icon of 1Password Mini is always shown with full opacity, while all other icons respond as expected.

This screenshot should illustrate the described behaviour:

I do run a public beta of OS X, but I've only seen this after upgrading to 6.0 and still see it in 6.0.1.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4 Public Beta
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password mini opacity

Comments

• Hi @floridiculous,

This is actually an OS X bug. I've been meaning to take a few hours to see if we can work around it, but this is happening because we handle the drawing of everything in that menu bar icon ourselves so that we can keep highlighting the icon beyond when the user has their mouse button down on it. OS X doesn't always have issues with it though, here it is on my system:

It looks like OS X isn't always properly taking the custom drawing into account when creating the dimmed version of it. I've been meaning to see if we could limit our custom drawing to only when we want highlighting drawn. As you may have noticed, when you click on the icon, the highlight also appears on the inactive display, which isn't what we want either, but there's no facilities to provide for different drawing of the icon on each display. All this just to be able to keep showing the highlight after your mouse button has come up. :)

I hope that helps explain things.

Rick

• floridiculous
    floridiculous
    Community Member

Hi @rickfillion,

thanks for the quick reply! :smile:

Not sure if you meant this when talking about the highlighting, but when I click the menu icon on my external display, 1Password Mini always shows up on my internal display. Is that an OS X bug too?

Florian

• @floridiculous : yeah, that's an OS X bug as well. We don't get to know which monitor we're drawing on... which is good. But OS X should be smart enough to do one drawing pass for the active display and another for the inactive display instead of assuming they're the same.

Rick

• hakamadare
    hakamadare
    Community Member

I see this too, OS X 10.11.3, 1Password 6.0.2.

• hakamadare
    hakamadare
    Community Member

I see this too, OS X 10.11.3, 1Password 6.0.2.

• yippy3000
    yippy3000
    Community Member

I have this too and it is annoying.

An additional issue with your drawing the icon yourself is that 1Password mini does not play nice with Bartender. If I put it in the bartender bar, I always see it hovering below the menu bar.

I know, not your software but I still wish it behaved like all of my other menu bar icons.

Can you explain why you need to do custom drawing of it more? All the other icons I have (Apple default, Bartender, MenuMeters, Postgress, Drive, Dropbox..ect) stay highlighted as long as their menu is open which seem to be the same thing you are doing/trying to do.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @yippy3000,

I'm going to ask @rickfillion to answer that one as I confess this is an area quite outside my domain of knowledge. I suspect I'll learn something new here too :smile:

• ondrejfuhrer
    ondrejfuhrer
    Community Member

Hello guys, is anyone addressing this issue? It's been here for a while now and maybe it needs some attention :smile:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ondrejfuhrer

I'm sorry that we've not been able to sort out this issue yet. We're always working and doing our best to improve 1Password. While I can't tell you a timeframe for this stay around to see where 1Password goes :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.