6.0 beta feedback

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Disappointed with AgileBits handling of Android.

Comments

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@saad Congrats on the new release - I'm sure a lot of hard work went into it. I will withhold most comments until I've had a chance to use it for a while, but I am crushed that my #1 feature request doesn't seem to have made it in: surfacing easier access to search. Unless that's a bug that's only affecting me (which I really, really hope is the case?)

Some quick examples / use cases:
    1. Why is search only available from the "All Items" view? Why isn't there a search field open on just about every view, like most modern apps that focus on quickly finding content?
    2. For that matter, why doesn't "All Items" exist as a top level item on the pull-out drawer? Why do I need to go into categories to access All Items?
    3. When filling from the keyboard when (e.g.) joining a a secure Wi-Fi network, why does search only search through the logins, excluding the WiFi category which would be covered by searching all items?

There are far more detailed use cases and similar requests dating back to 2014. Assuming that again this is not some unfortunate bug, this is IMHO just another example of how the top-level decision-makers miss important features as none of them seem to use Android phones as their primary phones on a day-in and day-out basis.

As an example, take a look at today's blog post from David Teare (@dteare). He has over 2,000 entries in his 1Password Vaults. I bet he couldn't imagine using 1Password with the search-related restrictions that the Android app imposes. If he or any other 1Password exec experimented with switching to exclusively using an Android phone for a period of time, he/she would be reminded multiple times per day of just how fundamental the ability to easily search becomes once the total number of saved password exceeds a few dozen.

• trammel
    trammel
    Community Member

saad AgileBits Team Member 6:38AM edited 8:45AM
    Hello, everyone! We are very excited to announce the first public beta of 1Password 6 is now available to download. To install the new beta, please have a read through our forum post announcement over at Android Beta.

We look forward to hearing your feedback. Thanks again for your support. :)

Where/how do you want feedback?

Initial impressions.

• For a major release, I'd expect the standard "What's new" greeting card, with some simple graphics and text promoting the new features.
    • The version numbering is confusing, you referred to it as 1Password 6, but in app, the current version is 4.5 and the beta is 5
    • I'd expect the app to detect if my device has fingerprint support, and offer to turn that on, on the first time it's opened.
    • I'd expect to be able to click on "Categories" at the top of the screen to reveal a search box, searching everything.
    • Searching feels much faster, but still requires too many clicks to get to
    • The "+" icon in the bottom right of the screen feels very standard and natural
  • dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the proof of working on android, again. But I have to agree @EnerJi: The most requested feature of all and more important than any other is the search functionality. I have 916 passwords and logins saved in my vaults and the handling from the brand new version is like the old one: horrible.

What is the most important feature for 1password on any smartphone? Adding new logins all the time or using 1password to login? It's the second. Why do you choose “add“ for the floating action button and not the search? Or why do you don't put the icon on the homescreen in the top right corner to access the passwords all the time?

I never ever used categories on my smartphone. Never! I'm just using the search. And this is still hidden. Please: Listen to your users when you all don't want to use android for your daily use.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

@dmacx

Agree about the use of 1p on smartphones/tablets. I don't think Ive ever created and saved a login on these devices, its all done on my desktop and synced across.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I'm glad that we're finally able to share this with you. This is a beta though, and if you're using it your feedback is valuable! With that in mind, feedback on the current version is crucial (rather than future updates). If a much-desired feature of yours isn't present, bemoaning it's absence isn't going to help; rather, getting this version tested and out the door to everyone in good shape is our focus, so we can work on the next. But that's not going to happen until we're confident that 6.0 is solid. So focusing on this release now will allow us to get to your other requests sooner as well. Cheers! :)

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member

After testing the new app I'm disappointed. Here is why.

But first the good ones: There is progress in developing the app to the next level. Which is great. There is Material Design - sort of (No Material Design in the settings menu) and there is support for the team valves.

But: Using the app on a daily use (again: I have > 900 items, all using on my Mac) it's still a pain to login to websites or search for a login. To use the autofill on websites, I have to switch to the 1password keyboard, enter the full password instead of using the fingerprint on my Nexus 6P. Often the App could not find the website I'm looking for. The fingerprint is turned on, but I could not understand, why I have to use the keyboard and my password again. After filling the credentials I have to switch back to my german keyboard with gesture support.

And in the app? I have to unlock the app with fingerprint (hey, here it is), clicking on Menu, clicking on Categories, clicking on All Objects, clicking on the search icon and then type in the website I'm looking for. Did you count the clicks?

Team-Support is build in. Great! But why do you have hidden this feature in the settings menu (which is, again, no Material Design)? To switch a vault, I can do this after setup in the app drawer. Why not adding „add a team vault“ function direct into the header of the drawer? Why the hell is everything complicated in this app?

Have a look at the rollout of the Facebook Messenger from today and it's Floating Action Button. It has support to start a chat, add contacts, start a group, start a call and hey: A direct search functionality

Sorry, but I'm still disappointed. Because using the App is still a mess. With it's new beauty it doesn't work better for me.

• drudge
    drudge
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

I joined the 6.0 beta because I'm interested in the 1Password for Teams support. I was able to create a new vault and then add my Team account, however both manual and automatic filling always show no results found. My Primary vault is empty, but there are definitely logins for the sites I'm visiting in my Team vault. Should filling be searching all vaults or just the Primary? Is there a way to configure my team vault as the primary?

• MattAttack
    MattAttack
    Community Member

I also find the lack of global search frustrating within the context of the app. I would like global search to appear on the global nav drawer. I would also recommend moving the help to the nav drawer as well as well as anything in that menu. There is a lot of space that could be used well.

• bjornryden
    bjornryden
    Community Member

It doesn't seem like you can get a popup window like with Lastpass when you encounter a site where you can log in? It has something called autofill but it doesn't seem to work like I expect it to? I'm not a big fan of switching keyboards.

• RMNL
    RMNL
    Community Member

Fingerprint unlock rocks.

But:

• It takes too long to start searching. I have > 1200 items and just want to search.
    • Still no support for multiple vaults. It's been in the iOS app since September 2014! :'(
    • Why does fingerprint not work when using the 1P keyboard?

I don't care that much about material design. It's nice, but it doesn't make or break the app IMHO. Feature parity would have been a better focus.

Hopefully this is a turn for the better and we start to see frequent releases from now.

• mevans10
    mevans10
    Community Member

So glad to have fingerprint unlock support. But why only allow us to enroll one finger? Sometimes I hold my phone in my left hand, sometimes I hold it in my right :tongue: At least two fingers should be supported.

• MattAttack
    MattAttack
    Community Member

@mevans10 I have multiple fingers that work to unlock 1Password. You must add them at the settings in your device for Nexus imprint. Not the app.

• mevans10
    mevans10
    Community Member

@MattAttack Oh that works for me too, I guess the one you use to enroll is just to unlock the Fingerprint Store or something. I guess the info around that could be improved :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

I got an error when I tryed to edit a Team vault login. Where it sayed object does not exist or can't be decrypted

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

When you go to the settings screen and long press on display and advanced you can see a white background arround the image. Could you please fix this. Because it looks very unpolished. Here is an image:

• MattAttack
    MattAttack
    Community Member

Not sure I should be putting this in here or a separate thread, so I will start here.

The favorites list in 6.0b1, does not respect order from Mac favorites list. If I make changes on my Mac it doesn't propagate down to Android.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hello,
    The Round default icon of the vault is not truly round witch makes it looks very strange to me please fix this image asset :)

• Wow! Thanks for all the amazing feedback on the new beta everyone!

@MattAttack

I also find the lack of global search frustrating within the context of the app

@RMNL

It takes too long to start searching. I have > 1200 items and just want to search.
    Why does fingerprint not work when using the 1P keyboard?

@dmacx

Did you count the clicks?
    I have to switch to the 1password keyboard, enter the full password instead of using the fingerprint on my Nexus 6P.

You've all hit on a few things that are high on our priority list for future updates. We really wanted to jam pack this release, but we couldn't get everything we wanted to into it.

We are planning to add fingerprint unlock to the keyboard and make search more accessible. These didn't quite make the cut for this beta, but we're moving to a faster release cycle, and we're targeting an upcoming beta for some of these high priority features. We're also planning on revisiting filling.

Hopefully this is a turn for the better and we start to see frequent releases from now.

This is exactly our goal, RMNL. We're planning on moving to a faster release cycle. :) I think this is the best way to show our beta users what we have been up to and to get direct feedback on changes.

@drudge Thanks for joining our beta testing team! As of now, the 1Password keyboard can only detect what's in your Primary vault, which is why you're not able to fill Teams Logins. This is something we've got in our sights for an upcoming beta, though!

@mevans10 I'm glad that **MattAttack **was able to help you get fingerprint unlocking with all of your registered imprints. :)

• @MattAttack and @ntimo, I see that you've opened other threads for the issues you brought up regarding Favorites ordering and UI issues, and we'll be responding in those threads. :)

This discussion has been closed.