6.0.1 crashes instantly. nothing helps

Options
DZBo
DZBo
Community Member

MacBook Pro 10.10.5, using 1Password 6.0.1. The main App crashes instantly. De install and reinstall didnt help. The 1password mini in topbar works perfect. See attached film. Even the crash reporter crashes

Movie of app and crash reporter crashing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmqmfi1rpydh5kd/IMG_4798.MOV?dl=0

Comments

• Hi @DZBo,

You're being affected by an issue that we're still tracking. As of only minutes ago we finally have a workaround that you can use and it'll get you going again, but has some caveats.

Here's what you'll want to do:

• Launch Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities
    • If using the version of 1Password from our AgileBits Store, copy paste this line into the terminal app, and hit return: defaults delete com.agilebits.onepassword4
    • If using the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, copy paste this line into the terminal app, and hit return: defaults delete com.agilebits.onepassword-osx
    • Quit Terminal.app
    • Launch 1Password again

This time it should launch successfully. Here are the caveats:

• Running that command will have reset some of your preferences. Look through Preferences to see if there's anything you need/want to reconfigure. (it should only be minor things)
    • There's likely going to be a "Unknown (system.sync.Point)" item in your sidebar in the main app. Don't click that. It'll put you back into the crashing state.
    • When you click the "+" button to add a new item in 1Password, there will likely be a "Unknown (system.sync.Point)" item in that menu. Same deal, don't click that. Especially this one.

We're going to work on getting a fix that removes those from the Sidebar and + menu for you.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• DZBo
    DZBo
    Community Member
    Options

ok. thx!
    it helped!
    hope you will deliver a fix to that "dont click that" issue :)

• Oh we will! I don't intend on leaving that trap there for you.

Have yourself a great weekend.

Rick

• racemase
    racemase
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi, I encounter the same problem, but unfortunately the above terminal command does not help.

• Hi @racemase,

Can you generate a Diagnostics Report for us and email it to support+forums@agilebits.com? Doing so is as simple as following these instructions. Include a link to this forum thread so that we can connect the dots. You should get back a response nearly instantly from our support system with a request id. Please post that request id to this thread, as it helps us jump between the two systems.

Thanks

Rick

• racemase
    racemase
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I went back to 1PW 5. Does the diagnostic report tool send infos regarding my system or 1PW as well? So, should I update to 6.0.1 before running the tool?

• stasia
    stasia
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I am having the exact same problem. I've been a 1password user for years and never had any problems until now. This is beyond frustrating and costing me money while I should be working.

• SChard
    SChard
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as DZBo above. Clearing Terminal.app worked however error has occurred again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @racemase,

Does the diagnostic report tool send infos regarding my system or 1PW as well?

The diagnostics report will contain some information about both your system as well as 1Password. (To be clear, your personal/private 1Password data is not included in the diagnostics report, just some data about your 1Password setup.) If you're curious, you can find more about what the diagnostics report includes here: What information does AgileBits know about me and how do you protect my privacy?

Because the problem is happening with version 6, we'll need you to re-update to version 6 again first. Specifically, can you please do the following:

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stasia,

I'm very sorry you're also experiencing this issue! It's an unusual problem and our developers are definitely working on it.

Have you tried these workaround steps that Rick posted earlier in the discussion? If not, please try that, as it should help to get things working again for you. Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks in advance! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SChard,

I'm glad the steps worked initially, but sorry to hear it's happening again!

Just to make sure, did you follow the steps from Rick here? If that's what worked at first, but the problem came back, I wonder if one of these caveats that Rick mentioned might be the cause:

• There's likely going to be a "Unknown (system.sync.Point)" item in your sidebar in the main app. Don't click that. It'll put you back into the crashing state.
    • When you click the "+" button to add a new item in 1Password, there will likely be a "Unknown (system.sync.Point)" item in that menu. Same deal, don't click that. Especially this one.

Is it possible you clicked on one of those things? If so, you should be able to follow Rick's steps again to get the app working again. Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• racemase
    racemase
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

I've just sent the diagnostic report under the support ID [#YWJ-49275-582]. I was too impatient before. After running the terminal command it took 1PW 6 one or two minutes to time out, display the error screen and let me relaunch it. Before that I always forced quit the app after ca. 30 s of beach balling. Right now and so far it works again ...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @racemase! I see that a couple members of our support team have been working on this with you via email. I'm glad to hear it seems to be working correctly for you at the moment! But in case the problem starts again or you have more questions about all that, we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: YWJ-49275-582

• racemase
    racemase
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's right. I've received in total two e-mails from two different people. The first was pointing me to this thread. I hope the next update will bring back the software quality we were all used to. Thanks for all your hard work on this absolutely awesome and important application.

• Thanks for letting us know. Yes, we are all working very hard to fix these issues.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    Options

The fix didn't work for me either. So I rebooted, ran the delete command again, it still doesn't work. I'm also having to fall back to version 5. grrr.

• Hi @mbernhardt,

That sounds really awful, and we need to fix that up. While I'm happy that you have the option to go back to version 5 and get back running, I'd much rather we figure out what's going on so that you and others don't hit this problem. Could I persuade you to email us with a Diagnostics Report so that we can dive in a little? Email it to support+forums@agilebits.com, and include a link to this forum thread so that we can have a little context. You should receive an email nearly immediately from our support system to give you a support ticket number. If you could post this to the forum here, that would also help us jump between the two systems.

I look forward to hearing from you, and fixing this problem.

Rick

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Already did it last night. Ticket number is GZX-97592-523.

• Thanks @mbernhardt,

I'm looking at it right now and will email you with questions.

Rick

• nle
    nle
    Community Member
    Options

Upgraded my MBPr (mid 2012) to 10.11.3 and 1Password (latest beta) crashed instantly on launch. I downgraded to the stable 6 version, but same error. I tried your trick and deleted the plist file and rebooted, but still crashes.

The web version of 1Password does not show all the different types of logins (i.e "servers" are missing, etc.).

What to do?

• Hi @nle,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue. The best way for us to be able to help you through this will be via email with a Diagnostics Report. The Diagnostics Report will give us an overview of what's going on help us identify the cause of your issue. Getting us a report is as simple as following the instructions on this page. Email it to support+forums@agilebits.com, and include a link to this forum thread so that we can connect the dots. You should get back a ticket number from our support system nearly immediately. Please post that to the forum here, as that helps us jump between the two systems.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rick

• brandonmarkb
    brandonmarkb
    Community Member
    Options

This is happening to me as well. I have a Macbook that my wife and I share, with each of us having our own user account. For the past year we've been able to install 1PW for all users and both use it. Now it's crashing instantly, but only for her account and not mine. I tried this fix and no change. After a couple of minutes I get an error that 1PW wasn't able to connect to 1PW mini.

Super frustrating for her. We've learned to put our trust into 1PW that for her to not be able to log into her things--but instead have to switch to my user--is super frustrated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandonmarkb: I'm sorry to hear that! Please send us diagnostics via email as Rick suggested from her user account so we can get this sorted out for you. Thanks in advance!

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    Options

So, what's the status on this? I don't see this problem listed among the fixes in 6.02.

• Hi @mbernhardt,

Looking back at the conversation that we had over email, it looks like your crash was likely caused by having multiple copy of 1Password on your disk. If that was the case there's nothing that we would put in the release notes. I'm still hoping to get to work on the startup process of the main app to make issues like that more obvious to users, but my time got taken over by another issue. That other issue's fixed now so I get to start looking at the main app startup again.

You should be able to upgrade to 6, but make sure you only have a single copy of 1Password on your disk anywhere.

Rick

• lmslms
    lmslms
    Community Member
    Options

I also see ""Unknown (system sync.Point) 3" on my iPhone, my iPad, but not my macbook. But, I am not having any issues that I know of, although having that there bugs me. This has been there for a while (i.e., didn't just show up with an upgrade to 6.2.2).

iphone: iOS 9.2.1, 1Password 6.2.2
    iPad: iOS 9.2, 1password 6.2.2
    macbook: OSX 10.10.5, 1Password 5.4.1

Should I leave well enough alone or is there something I can do to fix this?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@lmslms it's possible this AgileBits' post may help you. (It was linked from this post which appears to be in response to a similar problem to that which you are experiencing.)

Stephen

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion is it OK to have another copy on a connected non-startup disk? I'd like to try upgrading but just in case, I want to have my copy of 5.4.3 standing by.

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    Options

Also, is the "Unknown (system.sync.Point)" thing resolved in 6.02?

• Hi @lmslms,

Huh... that's the first instance I hear of for the system.sync.Point issue happening on iOS. Avoid interacting with it on iOS and you should be fine until they can do a release that includes the fixes we've put in place to stop that from happening.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.