I installed 1Password 6 on my mac and all the data from 1Password 5 vanished. What now?

johnthorne
johnthorne
Community Member

My computer is a Mac Mini (mid 2011) running OSX 10.11.3. I installed 1Password 6 and when I opened it, I was asked to create a new vault. I was then offered the opportunity to retrieve previous 1Password data from various locations, including my Mac. However, I was asked to find it myself with no specific help (Why doesn't the program already know where it puts that data!?). Using Apple's hapless search engine for files ending with ".agilekeychain" or ".opvault" or a backup ending with ".1p4_zip" proved hopeless. I then tried to reinstall an earlier version of 1Password which accomplished nothing and probably made things worse. I'm sure I contributed to this mess, but it's not of my making. Why wasn't the transfer of passwords, etc., as transparent as it always has been before? What should I do? John

1Password Version: 6.0,1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
Sync Type: n/a
Referrer: forum-search:I installed 1Password 6 on my mac and all the data from 1Password 5 vanished. What now?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnthorne,

I'm so sorry to hear 1Password 6 isn't automatically finding your data! Had you been using 1Password 5 on that same Mac? If so, your data should still be on there somewhere, and I'm sure we can help to get it all working again. To help us figure out what's going on, we'll just need to know a few more details:

• What version of 1Password were you using before installing version 6?
    • Were you previously using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits Store version of 1Password?
    • When you installed 1Password 6, did you do that by installing an update from the Mac App Store, by checking for / installing the update through the 1Password app, or by downloading version 6 from our download site?
    • Do you happen to have more than one 1Password app in the Applications folder?
    • If you try using the 1Password extension in your web browser, does it show your data?
    • Had you previously been syncing 1Password with Dropbox, iCloud, or other devices?
    • Do you have a recent backup of your Mac?

Thanks in advance! :)

• johnthorne
    johnthorne
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Drew, thanks for the quick response.
    • I was using the latest update of 1Password 5 before I installed 6.
    • I purchased all versions directly from AgileBits.
    • I installed the update through the 1Password app.
    • My applications folder has just 1Password 6.
    • The browser extension shows exactly what's in 1Password 6, i.e., nothing.
    • I don't sync because I just have the one computer.
    • I have Time Machine up and running. I also do a daily backup to a separate hard disk and have a cloud backup service.

Over to you.
    John

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnthorne,

Thanks for providing those answers! Everything looks to be in order there, so at this point I'd like to ask you to email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac so we can have a closer look at your setup and better assist you. Please include a link to this forum thread in your email.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and get back to you quickly.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• johnthorne
    johnthorne
    Community Member

Hi gang, as requested, I'm posting my support ID number: [#TRH-92799-319]. I ran the diagnostic software and sent that last night. Onward and upward! John

• Thank you @johnthorne. We'll get back to you as soon as possible. :) I've let the team know that your request is urgent.

ref: #TRH-92799-319

• johnthorne
    johnthorne
    Community Member

[#TRH-92799-319] Responding to the email from Jacob, your Nomadic Technical Navigator. I followed his instructions and reached the last backup folder from 1Password 5 on Time Machine. I reinstalled it in the backup folder, then opened 1Password 6 and did a restore. All passwords reappeared. At the same time, a great weight lifted from my heart. By the way, I discovered that I have 500+ passwords. Is that a record? I need to do some serious curating. Anyway, I'll be back if there are further problems. Either way, I overflow with thanks. John

• @johnthorne Yay! 500+ passwords isn't quite a record, at least not if you have over 3k or so. That's the most I've seen. I'm sure others at AgileBits have seen higher records, of course. :lol: In any case, cheers to the evening! Let us know if you have any other questions.

• myersgraymtn
    myersgraymtn
    Community Member

I have the exact same issue. How do I find my passwords?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @myersgraymtn,

Like before it is probably a good idea to review a diagnostic report and see what we're looking at.

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.