1Password vs LastPass: My observations

attrapereves
attrapereves
Community Member

I used LastPass for quite some time, but have been using 1Password since I got back into the OS X/iOS platforms. I logged into my LastPass account today to see if I was missing anything, but eventually went back to 1Password. I'll post some of my thoughts. Maybe some of these things can be implemented into 1Password in the future.

Here's why I stick with 1Password:

• Overall, I prefer 1Password because it's more than just a password manager. I can keep my marriage license, passports, SS cards, and other forms of ID. LastPass allows this, but it's not as pretty and requires using secure notes.
  • I love categories in 1Password. This makes it easy to find website logins and prevents them from being mixed in with credit card info or secure notes.
  • 1Password is beautiful on OS X and iOS. LastPass' interface reminds me of something from the 90s. It's also overly complicated and clunky feeling.
  • It's nice knowing that my data rests on my own machine. I'm sure LastPass doesn't have access to passwords, but you really never know...
  • And because data rests on my own machine, if something ever happened to 1Password, I could still access my vault. If LastPass went down, I wouldn't be able to access my vault (although I believe they do cache a local copy).
  • Customer service is great.

Here are some things I wish 1Password would implement or do differently:

• Syncing with Google Drive and OneDrive
  • There are certain websites that do not play nicely with password managers. LastPass allows you to manually save all form data. Even the worst website design could be autofilled with LastPass due to this feature.
  • Autofill login option for websites would be something nice to implement. It would save having to click on the extension button.
  • The Android and Windows apps could use some updating. It would be nice if they could be as up to date as the Apple apps.

Based on all of this information, I really can't see going back to LastPass.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I used LastPass for quite some time, but have been using 1Password since I got back into the OS X/iOS platforms. I logged into my LastPass account today to see if I was missing anything, but eventually went back to 1Password. I'll post some of my thoughts. Maybe some of these things can be implemented into 1Password in the future.

@attrapereves: Glad to have you (back)! :chuffed:

Here's why I stick with 1Password:

• Overall, I prefer 1Password because it's more than just a password manager. I can keep my marriage license, passports, SS cards, and other forms of ID. LastPass allows this, but it's not as pretty and requires using secure notes.

Yknow, this isn't something that's brought up often, but honestly that's a big part of what I love about 1Password: it's flexible enough to be useful for storing just about anything. Now, to be fair, a lot of this does require using Secure Notes (if, for example, the information you want to store doesn't happen to be a good fit for an existing category), but custom sections and fields are helpful for this too. I'm glad you're finding it useful, and I think we can do even better in this area.

• I love categories in 1Password. This makes it easy to find website logins and prevents them from being mixed in with credit card info or secure notes.

Thanks! I think there's room for improvement here too, and depending on the size of the vault, eventually search becomes even more useful to avoid scrolling through the full list.

• 1Password is beautiful on OS X and iOS. LastPass' interface reminds me of something from the 90s. It's also overly complicated and clunky feeling.

Thanks for the compliment! I know our designers and developers put a lot of care into the apps. And I know that we aren't satisfied with them either. ;)

• It's nice knowing that my data rests on my own machine. I'm sure LastPass doesn't have access to passwords, but you really never know...

• And because data rests on my own machine, if something ever happened to 1Password, I could still access my vault. If LastPass went down, I wouldn't be able to access my vault (although I believe they do cache a local copy).

Indeed. Although I think that this is a byproduct of one critical thing about 1Password: you control your data. A lot of folks (including me) like having our data sync'd securely between devices, but I think the most important thing is that the choice is ours.

• Customer service is great.

Thank you! We're not perfect, but we strive to do our best for you and the rest of our awesome customers. We couldn't do what we do without you. :chuffed:

Here are some things I wish 1Password would implement or do differently:

• Syncing with Google Drive and OneDrive

Aha! Yes, we'd definitely like to support additional sync services in the future, and those two are certainly pervasive — especially with Microsoft's recent focus on multiplatform support. Hopefully we'll be able to add these in time.

• There are certain websites that do not play nicely with password managers. LastPass allows you to manually save all form data. Even the worst website design could be autofilled with LastPass due to this feature.

Ah, the eternal struggle. We're constantly working to improve our form filling, so be sure to report any issues you have using our Synapse website issue tracker , and reach out here on the forums so we can help! We do, however, take a more conservative approach so that logins can often be used with multiple forms that are different.

• Autofill login option for websites would be something nice to implement. It would save having to click on the extension button.

1Password does not autofill, and this is by design. We believe strongly that it isn't acceptable for 1Password to do something on the user's behalf without consent, without any action taken. This is not only a potential annoyance ("I just wanted to go to the site. I didn't want to login yet!") but also a security issue, since phishing attacks are common.

• The Android and Windows apps could use some updating. It would be nice if they could be as up to date as the Apple apps.
      Based on all of this information, I really can't see going back to LastPass.

You're right on! The bad news is that they're not ready yet; but the good news is that we're hard at work on new versions of 1Password for Windows 10 and 1Password for Android (both in beta currently, with more to come). We want to have a more consistent experience across platforms, and this is a step in that direction.

Thanks so much for the compliments and constructive criticism. We're really proud of 1Password, but we're also driven to make it much, much better. :)

This discussion has been closed.