1Password on Dropbox.com

selimulug
selimulug
Community Member

Prior to installing 1Password 6, I could access my 1Password info from dropbox.com. Has that capability been removed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, kb:dropbox-troubleshooting, ug:mac/sync-dropbox, ug:mac/, kb-search:dropbox.com

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hi @selimulug,

Thanks for writing here in the forums with your question.

Yes that's correct, we removed the 1PasswordAnywhere functionality from 1Password 6.

Essentially, it was created some time ago before 1Password was available on mobile devices and even certain PC platforms. It had certain caveats to it that made some amount of your data less secure in order for it to be available in a web browser from back in the time that it was created.

So, we made some changes to certain things in 1Password to remove that functionality from being available by default. It was a decision to make user's more secure since there newer more secure ways to access your data.

Was this an often used feature for you?

• selimulug
    selimulug
    Community Member

Well, not often, but I have used it many times. It was handy if I was at a computer other than my own, I do understand the security concerns, though. Thanks for your reply.

Just one other comment. Sometimes on a major upgrade syncing stops working and I only notice sometime later when I need the date on oneof my devices. It would be AgileBits send out a notification that we should check that our syncs are working.

Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @selimulug,

I confess I'm troubled that you find syncing may stop with a major upgrade. I personally haven't seen that happen and it shouldn't. The only times I can think where sync is purposely disabled are as follows.

• You disable sync (just adding it here for completeness's sake - pretty sure most people knew that).
    • You restore a backup. We disable sync as the last thing we want to do is create a vicious cycle where you've restored a backup and then sync returns you to the state that caused you to restore a backup.
    • You delete the Agile Keychain/OPVault container and create a new one in the same location. Even though it might look the same 1Password knows it isn't so it disables sync.

1Password should definitely not be disabling sync when you perform an upgrade as who of us would think to routinely check to see if it's working. After all it should be set and forget. This won't be easy to pin down given you're saying it only happens in an upgrade.

• selimulug
    selimulug
    Community Member

Well, it's happened at least a couple of times now, and I'm pretty sure it was after major upgrades, but can't swear to it. It was certainly right after a major upgrade this time. When it happens, it takes a lot of work to read the help forums, isolate the problem, then put things back together. This time I had to disable syncing on all devices except my Mac, stop Mac syncing, delete the files leftover on Dropbox, and put things back together. I noticed that the 1Password folder has moved from ./Dropbox to ./Dropbox/app. Not sure if that was a factor or not. I love the product and depend on it heavily. Sorry for the typos above. Appreciate your responding to the query so promptly.

• Hi @selimug,

Dropbox moved the default location of app data to Dropbox/apps. That could cause an issue if one device was looking to sync to a file at Dropbox/1Password and another to Dropbox/apps/1Password. If you find sync is not working check the Sync settings on each of your devices are pointing to the same place. It should move by itself, but if you turn sync off and on, it may put it in a location you weren't expecting.

I hope that explains it. If you have further questions, feel free to reply.

Regards,
    Kevin

• wii
    wii
    Community Member

Hi all - interestingly, I am here looking for an answer to why my 1Password on my home Mac has stopped syncing with my iPhone and office Mac. This was after upgrading to 6.0.1. I was entering some new info, and checked to see if the Sync settings were still on for Dropbox (which I have used for years). The info from new data entered on my Office Mac had been transferred to my home Mac on 1/26/2016, but the info I entered today on my Home Mac (after upgrading 1Password) is not being synced out. When I went to the Sync settings on my Home Mac, the setting was set to NONE, and I had definitely not changed that myself. I am hoping that since my Home and Office versions of 1Password are out-of-sync, by re-starting Dropbox syncing on my Home Mac I hope I don't lose some info.

But the mystery is: why did 1Password stop Dropbox syncing after an upgrade? I have used 1Password successfully for years, and don't think I have come across this before. Any info would be appreciated. (And my 1Password.agilekeychain is not in any folder in Dropbox, just as it has been since I first started using it to sync).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wii,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password! As Little Bobby mentions above, sync certainly shouldn't just stop. In the more recent version of 1Password, in fact, we've included a notification that will alert users when a problem has been detected with sync so that it can be rectified immediately. We all rely on sync here, so we know how important it is that we get it right.

I am hoping that since my Home and Office versions of 1Password are out-of-sync, by re-starting Dropbox syncing on my Home Mac I hope I don't lose some info.

When you reset sync, 1Password doesn't pick one set of data or the other, it will work to merge the items from both your databases. Depending on how long sync has been off, and how items have been edited, you might see a few 'Conflict Sections' in a few entries. For example, if you've made changes to your Dropbox entry on both your home Mac and your office Mac, 1Password might not be able to determine which of the edits should be preserved, and, to avoid arbitrarily deleting information, it will save the details in a separate section so that you can make that determination.

In short, 1Password does all it can to ensure that your data will not be lost!

If you're a bit unsure, however, you're welcome to run a fresh backup (File > Backup) before resetting sync. Then you'll know for you sure that you have a copy of your data that you can roll back to if anything odd happens.

But the mystery is: why did 1Password stop Dropbox syncing after an upgrade? I have used 1Password successfully for years, and don't think I have come across this before. Any info would be appreciated.

This is a mystery indeed. Now, I'm not certain that this will solve things, but I'd be curious to take a peek at a Diagnostics Report. This report gives us a closer look at your system, including 1Password's activity logs. It might tell us what happened with sync.

To create a Diagnostics Report, please follow the instructions on this page:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Cassady
    Cassady
    Community Member

Hi - apologies for wading in here (my 1st post), but not sure if this deserves a separate thread!

I tried using 1PasswordAnywhere without success this evening, which brought me here... The fact that I haven't used it in years(?), suggests it won't be missed much - but I'm still curious about the alternative...

When I took the plunge on 1Password initially, I was still using a PC as well as my Mac/iOS things. Travelling abroad, had me also wonder about what would happen if my luggage went missing/laptop bag was stolen, and I was suddenly without Macbook, iPhone and iPad >> I would effectively be locked out of everything, since I wouldn't have access to anything that had my passwords stored on it.

1PasswordAnywhere was what tipped me in purchasing 1Password, since it became clear that even in the unlikely event of the above occurring, I could walk into an Internet café – access Dropbox and thereby my passwords - at least for the essentials (banking etc.)...

Could someone explain - what would be the fail-safe now?
    If all devices go missing - where would one start at getting back in? No doubt something super obvious, but I've obviously missed it!

Many thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @Cassady ,

Welcome abroad to the forums! We're happy to have you here. 1PasswordAnywhere is not being supported anymore, all the details surrounding why this decision was taken can be found here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere

If you want to have an alternative that will ensure access on any browser, the best option is 1Password Families. This is a subscription service where your data is hosted on our servers, so it's readily available in a secure way wherever you go! You can read more about 1Password Families here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/.

If you don't like the idea of 1Password Families and want some other options in case of emergency, remember that 1Password can be installed on trial mode for 30 days for free, so you can always take advantage of this option!

I'm sorry for any inconveniences that 1PasswordAnywhere not being around anymore might cause to you, and I hope you find the solution that works best! If you have any other questions or there's anything else that you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.