Remember app associations for logins

EarthAura
EarthAura
Community Member

It would be nice if the app remembered associations for logins that have been used in a certain app. Even better if this was synced into your vault.

Comments

• johan98
    johan98
    Community Member

I support the request for this kind of feature.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Yes. This would be hugely useful. I fear this will go to the bottom of the huge backlog of features. Maybe we'll see something like this in two or three years.

• sfringer
    sfringer
    Community Member

I'll add my vote to this functionality request.
    I know a previous password manager I used allowed a user to make the association, and then this was crowd-sourced so other users could benefit from the association.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@sfringer If this can be done without sacrificing privacy I would be all for it!

• This is definitely something that we will consider for improving the current filling implementation. We want to help you get to and use your data more conveniently, and this would certainly help reduce the number of times that you need to search for an item before being able to fill it into an app or browser. Thanks for the feedback!

• blugos
    blugos
    Community Member

Hello,

I absolutely vote for this necessary request.
    In fact, when using an application, it says no login found for com.appname.android
    I tried to add com.appname.android as an URL in the vault database, but it does nothing.

If we could manually add an application ID (com.appname.android) into existing entries (or create a new one), it would be great and makes 1Password really useful on Android (not having to search each time for the login/pass in the list).

Thank you.

• mverde
    edited March 2016

@blugos I can't make any promises as to when we will implement this feature, but I can provide you with a work around in the meantime. If you add a login for the app and specify the package name for the app in reverse, then 1Password should automatically identify the app.

For example, I use the Flipboard app and it has a package name of "flipboard.app" (which unfortunately doesn't match the reverse domain name convention that we check against). I can work around that limitation by changing the URL for the login to be "app.flipboard". It's not a perfect work around (as you're replacing the URL) but it could do the trick for a few specific logins that you're only using for apps. Note that you could create separate logins for use with the app and the website though.

I hope that helps!

• blugos
    blugos
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Thank you @mverde . I thought it was possible to add several URLs for one entry (from 1Password for Mac).
    So for a package that would be com.myapp.android, I just have to add the URL android.myapp.com? That would do the trick.

• You are correct that 1Password for Mac supports using several URLs. However, 1Password for Android currently only supports a single URL and 1Password for Mac relies on the primary URL for Go & Fill. If you are a Go & Fill user, this will interfere with that behaviour. Instead, I would recommend creating a second login item specifically for the app itself. It's a bit more work because you have to update two items with any password changes, but it allows you to use your "Flipboard App" login for signing in to the app and your "Flipboard Site" login for signing in to the website.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@mverde Just to chime in to this thread, I very much appreciate the workaround, but I'm not sure I'll get around to doing this. I know you have a long list of features you are working through, but just wanted to say I hope we'll see this supported natively in some fashion sooner rather than later!

• @EnerJi We would definitely rather provide a native solution than have you resort to workarounds like this one :)

This discussion has been closed.