Mac "Numbers" passwords

Options
Dougsarm
Dougsarm
Community Member

How would I save a passwords that protects opening a "Numbers" spreadsheet?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/add-custom-fields, ug:mac/mark-an-item-as-a-favorite, ug:mac/attach-a-file, kb-search:save passwords of spread sheets, kb:create-csv-files

Comments

• sobemac
    sobemac
    Community Member
    Options

New Item -> Password
    Name it with your .numbers file name perhaps, and save the password there. There won't be autofill, but cut and paste should be pretty easy too

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dougsarm,

I hope sobemac's answer was helpful for you! If you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

• Dougsarm
    Dougsarm
    Community Member
    Options

Am I to understand that autofill will only work for web site based passwords and all my other passwords like opening Quicken, opening forums, etc will have to be like my Apple "Numbers" log in? Also can my wife use my 1password account on her computer or will she need to have her own purchased account? what happens to my 1password account within her Imac where I share a log in with my data on my site?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dougsarm,

Am I to understand that autofill will only work for web site based passwords and all my other passwords like opening Quicken, opening forums, etc will have to be like my Apple "Numbers" log in?

1Password doesn't have an "auto-fill" feature - it will only fill your data in web browsers when you explicitly tell it to do so (for example, by opening a Login item from the main 1Password app, by selecting the Login item from the 1Password browser extension, or by using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut in the browser). Because sensitive data is involved, we never assume the user just wants us to do something automatically, so we leave the control in the user's hands.

Now as far as filling your data, 1Password can fill your login info on websites by using the 1Password extension you installed in the web browser. But other Mac apps don't have extensions like web browsers do, so there is no direct link between those apps and 1Password. You would therefore need to copy & paste your info from 1Password into an app like Quicken, Numbers, and so on. To make it a bit easier, you can use 1Password mini, which is the 1Password icon in the menubar at the top of the screen. We have more information here: 1Password mini

Also can my wife use my 1password account on her computer or will she need to have her own purchased account?

Unless you're using our new 1Password for Teams beta, you don't actually have an account with us. In other words, we don't host your data - by default, all your 1Password data is stored locally on your Mac (unless you choose to use one of the sync options, such as Dropbox or iCloud). If your wife installs 1Password on her Mac, she'll be able to create her own vault which is completely separate from yours. You can also choose to share a vault with your wife, using Dropbox sync. If that's what you're asking about, you can find more information here: Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers?

Or were you just asking about whether your wife can also use the 1Password app on her Mac without purchasing a separate license for it? If so, the answer is yes. If you purchased a license for 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits Store, that can be shared by up to 6 family members living in the same household. You and your other family members can install 1Password on all your Macs.

If you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, that purchase will be associated with your Apple ID. You can install it on all your Macs, as long as you're signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID you used to purchase it. The Mac App Store version of 1Password is eligible for Family Sharing, so you and your wife can both use it even if you use different Apple IDs for purchases.

Does that help to answer your questions? If not, or if you have more questions, please let us know! :)

• Dougsarm
    Dougsarm
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, this clarifies it a whole lot for me. I really didn't understand what the extension was about, but now I do. I'm gong to continue building my password vault so I my have some other questions, but not at the moment. Again thanks
    Dougsarm

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @Dougsarm. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.