1Password changing input method

Options
heilerich
heilerich
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm using 1Password on my Mac with Japanese input on an international keyboard. With this input setup the caps lock key is used to change between Alphabet input and Japanese letter input. If caps lock is on Alphabet is used.
When I open 1Password Mini unlocking it works fine. But if it is already unlocked and the cursor is in the search field, 1Password is ignoring the caps lock state and always defaults to Japanese input. Which is very annoying because most of my logins are named in english. Furthermore I can't even change the input method, because changes in caps lock state are also ignored.

Does anyone have any tips how to solve this problem? I suspect it's a bug in the 1Password App because I don't have any problems anywhere else.

Regards
heilerich

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi heirich,

That does sound like a bug in our 1Password mini search field. We do some custom keyboard handling in that field. Do you experience this else where in 1Password (e.g. when editing a login item title or username)?

• heilerich
    heilerich
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the late reply. So far I only encountered this problem in the search field. Can you do anything about it?

• chadseld
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks for the update. I'll make a note of the bug and see if there is a way to fix it.

• heilerich
    heilerich
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this? I still have the same problem ...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, @heilerich. I must be completely honest with you. We had a few developers look at this and have not been able to reproduce it. So that makes it quite tricky to resolve, since we can't even see the problem.

Could you perhaps give me a detailed list of steps I can take to try to reproduce the issue? I'm wondering if there is a small detail we have been missing.

ref: OPM-3794

• Hi Heilerich,
    Nobody here has been able to reproduce the problem. So perhaps we are misunderstanding the description. Can you record a screen capture video and email support@agilebits.com? That might help us identify what is going on.

• heilerich
    heilerich
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone,
    thank you for your concern.

My colleague, who was experiencing the same problem, just taught me a convenient workaround.
    The Japanese input source settings (System Prefs -> Input Sources -> Japanese) on an US hardware layout let you configure the "Caps lock action" either as "On for romaji input" or "Off for romaji input". I had it configured as "On for romaji input" and since 1Password is somehow messing with the caps lock state (by acting as if it was off regardless of the actual state) I always typed in ひらがな instead of roman letters (romaji). I now changed the option to "Off for romaji input" so 1Password mini forces me to type in roman letters instead.
    This doesn't fix the bug in the app, but now the bug only keeps me from searching in Japanese. As I mentioned above almost all my logins are in english so I can live with that. I will just transcribe the few items named in Japanese into roman letters.

Greetings
    heilerich

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @heilerich,

I’m so glad to hear that you’ve found a suitable workaround! As Chad mentions above, we’re happy to look into this to determine where the bug is coming in, but we’ll need a bit more information from you. If you’re content with the workaround, that’s great! But if you’d like to do some sleuthing, we’d be more than willing to take a look at a screen capture.

In any case, please don’t hesitate to reach out if you notice anything out of the ordinary with 1Password - we’re always here for you!

This discussion has been closed.