Login isn't Directing to Its Website

Options
09aps
09aps
Community Member

Here's a new problem I'm having:

1. I created a new Login
  2. However, when I click on that Login from my Safari (or mini) extension, nothing happens.
  3. The website address for this Login is accurate.

Why does clicking on this Login fail to automatically direct me to the appropriate site and fill in my information? My other Login entries are functioning well.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• 09aps
    09aps
    Community Member
    Options

Update: When I click on the web address for the Login entry in question from my Safari extension, I do get directed to corresponding site. Still, nothing is automatically filled, and clicking on the Login entry itself does nothing.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @09aps,

I'm sorry one of your Logins is misbehaving!

When you created that Login item, did you do so directly from the main 1Password app, or did you allow the browser extension to prompt you to save it, as described in this section of the user guide?

If you created it directly in the main app, that might explain at least some of the issues you described. It's better to save it from the extension, because that allows 1Password to learn details about that sign-in form, so it can fill it correctly. All sign-in forms are a bit different from each other, so this can make a difference with some sites/Login items.

Since you already have a Login item for that site, you probably won't be automatically prompted to save a new one now, but you can save a new one by following the steps in this knowledgebase article. Does the new Login item work as expected? Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• 09aps
    09aps
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Drew.

I tried to change my password through my Safari extension. Unfortunately, however, changing my password for this particular account requires me to go to an address that's separate from my account's. So inputting the address manually from the 1P app seemed to be my only option.

In the meantime, I've created a workaround that isn't very difficult to work with. It just requires an extra two clicks on my part.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @09aps,

Thank you for the additional information about what you're doing - I'm glad you found a decent workaround!

Changing your password for that website account shouldn't really have anything to do with whether or not 1Password can fill the regular sign-in form. However, if you saved the Login item from the 'change password' site, which is on a different site than the regular 'sign-in' site, that would explain why it isn't working.

In that case, you should be able to solve the problem by following the steps here. When following those steps, you'll want to save a new Login item from the normal sign-in site. Then, that new Login item in 1Password should be able to open the sign-in form and fill it properly. (Please note that you don't need to change your website account password to do this - you simply need to follow the steps in the above link, making sure to do so from the website with the sign-in form.)

Does that help?

• 09aps
    09aps
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed, I tried that, and it did work. But there was one problem, which I think may have to do with cookies: After it worked, I was logged in. I then logged out, but could no longer log back in by once again merely clicking on the login entry from my extension. So that solution has worked for me only once per browser session I"m afraid.

In the meantime, I have the web address for the login in direct me to the page where I'm supposed to click on a login button. I then use my extension to fill the form that subsequently appears on the actual sign-in site. I just can't directly link to the latter; otherwise, I have the above problem. It's the one exception of all my login entries.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @09aps,

On some sites, when you log out of your account, they'll take you to a slightly different page or a different form to sign back in again if you want to. Depending on the URL and/or how that new sign-in form works, 1Password might have trouble filling it the same way as the original sign-in form. As you can probably tell, that's a bit rare, but every website works a bit differently, so odd problems can sometimes happen.

One thing you can try is to sign into that site, then log out, then copy the new URL for the new page and add it to the Login item in 1Password (when editing the item, copy/paste the new URL into a new, empty website field, such as 'website 2'). Remember to save the changes. In some cases, that might help 1Password to fill the form on that second sign-in site.

If you'd like, we'll be happy to see if we can test 1Password with that site ourselves. We would just need to know the URL, if you don't mind sharing it. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.