I cannot get 1 password 6 to open on my Mac.

Options
Philip_Prettejohn
Philip_Prettejohn
Community Member

It has worked brilliantly for years! I was prompted to do two updates today. Afterwards a '?' symbol appeared in the icon and I then got a message it would not connect to 1P mini. I have been trrough your web page from top to bottom, erased the app with 'Clean My Mac' downloaded from your site, reinstalled - and no change save there is no ? in the icin for the app. HELP, it is the key to my life online!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: cannot open to see
OS Version: el capitan
Sync Type: wifi to iPad
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini, kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Philip_Prettejohn,

So I think you're suffering from two separate issues that when combined make for a frustrating experience.

The first issue is the icon in the dock. Like many of us you set up 1Password so it's always in your OS X dock because you use it every day. When we moved from 1Password 5 to 1Password 6 this resulted in a change in the application name for all of our AgileBits Store customers and this messed with the way the dock links to the application. Thankfully once you're in the know it is easy to fix but of course only once somebody explains how.

What's happened is the link to 1Password that you had in your dock was referring specifically to 1Password 5.app and the new version titled 1Password 6.app has confused it. The following will get you all sorted :smile:

1. Right click on the old link and select the contextual menu option Options > Keep in Dock. This will disable the option and the icon should disappear. Another way is to drag the icon away from the dock until you get the tooltip Remove appear and then let go.
    2. Now open Spotlight using the keyboard shortcut cmd + space and start a search for 1Password. It will find 1Password 6 in your /Applications/ folder. Select it to launch.
    3. 1Password 6 will now appear in your Dock because it's an application in the process of being used.
    4. Right click on the new 1Password icon and select the contextual menu option Options > Keep in Dock and you can now drag it back to its rightful place.

Even after closing you should find the icon remains where it should and that it continues to work again.

Now this will only solve part of the issue. If 1Password is saying it cannot connect to 1Password mini we've got a second block in place that we need to sort. Now I don't know for certain but my strong suspicion as to what caused this is covered in in what we detail in steps 1 and 2 of our page, Troubleshooting “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”. I believe it will be step 2 that really fixes things but I could be wrong. If I'm wrong we will continue to work with you until everything is working again and you can get back to 1Password working for you rather than fighting you.

Please do let us know how you get along and we'll take it from there :smile:

This discussion has been closed.