Mapped drive that houses one vault disconnected, therfore can't access preferences

Options
msw70
msw70
Community Member

I'm trying to work from home. Because 1P6 is trying to display all my vaults instead of my primary, I continually get notified that there is a problem connecting to a mapped drive. It gets worse when trying to access preferences, where I hope I can disable this new "feature." I can't get past an infinitely recurring dialog box that telling me, There was a problem connecting to the server "…". The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

1Password Version: 6.0.1 (601003)
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: 10.11.3 (15D21)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6

Comments

• Hi @msw70,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble with the "All Vaults" feature. I see you have Dropbox entered as your Sync Type, but it sounds like you have Folder Sync set to sync to a mapped network drive. You can check this in the Preferences under Sync. So what happens is All Vaults is trying to initiate sync and is then asking OS X to open the mapped network drive. I have a few points regarding this:

1. You can select which vaults appear in "All Vaults" in the Preferences under "All Vaults".
    2. There is an issue that All Vaults will try to sync with every vault regardless of the preference in number 1. This is generally fine, except in the case of Folder Sync to a network drive. We will be issuing a fix soon so that "All Vaults" will only sync the vaults that are part of "All Vaults."
    3. We do not actually recommend using Folder Sync to sync directly to a network drive. The issue here is that network drives do not provide the proper capability to notify 1Password of changes, and other aspects of sync that we need. Syncing to a network drive has worked for some, and has caused a lot of problems for others. That's not likely to change. If you have been using sync to network drives successfully, that's great, just know that if you have issues in the future, it may not be possible to resolve them.

Now, back to your issue. I think the easiest way to get you back up and running is to do the following.
    1. Set Folder Sync to use a local folder on your hard disk.
    2. Use a third party file sync utility (for example, Chronosync or SuperDuper) to sync that folder to a folder on your mapped network drive. Do the same on your other computers. Set it to sync often to avoid conflicts.

For now, that's really the only option. Once we fix the issue (that will be soon) you can remove the vault that folder syncs to a mapped network drive, and use it as you have been.

I hope that explains the issue you are seeing. If you have further questions, please feel free to reply.

Regards,
    Kevin

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member
    Options

I use Dropbox Sync for my personal vault. We have two additional vaults shared by teams in our department. Company policy excludes use of Dropbox and most of the users sharing the vault are Windows users. Hence the use of a mapped drive.

I access the shared vaults rarely, so I see results relating to those entries as noise. I'd rather only display results from my primary (personal) vault and manually choose the shared vaults (as I did before 1Password 6).

Unfortunately, I can't access Preferences because the error dialog intervenes interminably. There is no canceling out or OKing through. It just throws the error described above over and over...

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member
    Options

Where can I find 1Password 5? I can find 4, but not 5... Thanks.

• Hi @msw70,

I replied to your other thread here.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.