Browser Extension Not Compatible with Firefox 35 on Mac Yosemite

Options
machale
machale
Community Member

Using Firefox 35 on Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite. When trying to install the browser extension, it appears to download, but then says it's incompatible with Firefox 35. I can't find a link to earlier versions of the browser extension. Please provide one.

Error message seen: 1Password could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 35.0.

I have tried both:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox?beta=false

and:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox?beta=true

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.0.1 (601003)
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: N/A
Referrer: forum-search:"not compatible with firefox 35"

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @machale,

We currently support versions 38 and higher in Firefox. We support version 38 so that Firefox ESR has support so mostly I'm curious as to why you're running version 35 when we're now up to version 44. Is there a reason you're running this older version of Firefox?

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    Options

A tool I need to use at work has not yet been updated for newer FF versions. Are you saying older versions of the extension are not available? I'm willing to downgrade to 1P5 if needed.

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, FF's silly release numbering makes FF 35 sound old, but it was just released barely a year ago, January 13, 2015.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/35.0/releasenotes/

For something as fundamental to a workflow as a password manager, I'd expect support for a browser that's only a year old. If 1P will force me to upgrade other software on my machine that quickly, then 1P may not be suitable for a large enterprise environment that doesn't like to upgrade software frequently. (I'm aware of the ESRs but, as I said, that won't work for me at this point.)

I understand AB's goal is probably to get large enterprises using Team, but my employer ain't gonna do that. And I won't go for a subscription plan on my own dime.

So I'm curious, what is 1P's browser support policy in general? Is 1 year the cut-off point for browser version support? Or is this a one-off situation with the release of 1P6 and it's usually longer?

I do think 1P is a great product, so apologies if I'm coming off whiny, but I'm honestly surprised a one-year-old browser is already considered dead.

Thanks for listening to my rant. ;)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @machale,

Older versions of the extension are still available but while version 4.4.2 is available at this link, unless Firefox understand the next version is incompatible it would mean you have to disable automatic update of extensions otherwise Firefox will try to update.

I can say that this version of the 1Password Firefox Extension will mean open and fill, where you click on the URL inside the Login item, won't work as 1Password 6 does require version 4.5.2. This is due to certain messages that need to go backwards and forwards that the older version isn't aware of.

All of this though is independent of whether you're a single person using 1Password or you've joined as part of a team and are trying out our new 1Password for Teams. Teams is a service that connects to the same software that all of our standalone customers use and use the same extensions. I don't know all the details but I believe changes in Firefox meant we had to update the min and max supported versions due to API changes. While a year might not sound like long Mozilla work at a lightning pace so part of what we do is simply about keeping up with everything that Mozilla, Google and Apple have done to make sure the extension remains compatible. The extension to some degree is independent to 1Password in terms of development cycle so sometimes we release a new version of the extension and it's more to do with changes in the browser than changes in 1Password. As the bridge between both we're sensitive to changes from both sides.

This is the second request in this area that I've seen. The first was related Firefox ESR and there we were able to alter it easily enough. I understand you have your reasons for sticking to Firefox 35 but if API changes mean support for older versions is problematic then we have to make sure the very large number of users running the latest version do have a working version. Obviously support for as many versions as possible is ideal but sometimes tough.

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    Options

Well, as luck would have it, the tool at work that was keeping me back on FF 35 has been updated, so now I'm on FF 44 and happily using 1P with the browser extension. So, while I remain concerned about 1P not supporting a 1 year-old browser, I'll stop pursuing this thread for now. Thanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @machale,

Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear it's no longer a problem for you, though we do understand your concern. It just gets very tricky to try to maintain compatibility between several versions of several browsers as well as multiple versions of our own app. So things always work best when you update evenly, i.e., update nothing or update everything. Updating selectively is where you get compatibility issues. We do our best to keep 1Password stable and compatible but also current. In this case, I would hope you'd be just as concerned about that other tool keeping you stuck on Firefox 35, as software updates often contain security fixes as well as bug fixes.

However, as littlebobbytables mentioned earlier, Firefox 38 ESR (Extended Support Release) is still supported, and that may be a better option if Firefox's 6-week release cycle is too frequent to maintain compatibility with other necessary tools. If you'd like, you can read more about 1Password and Firefox 38 ESR. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.