1Password 6 vault file location

Options
gallia_a
gallia_a
Community Member

My main computer is a Mac, and I have an iPhone as well. I tried both Dropbox and iCloud sync options, but I settled on wi-fi sync.
At work I have a Windows PC, but unfortunately I cannot access neither Dropbox nor iCloud. I would like to keep everything in sync, via copying through an external drive, but I am not able to locate the vaults agilekeychain files on my Mac. Where are they located? I know I could set up a Dropbox or folder sync, and copy the files from there, but I'd like to keep the sync through wi-fi.
Thanks in advance for your help

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
Sync Type: wi-fi

Comments

• Hi gallia_a,

The internal data format is not .agilekeychain or .opvault -- those are file formats for sync points. The internal format is not guaranteed to by the same cross platform either, so you don't want to copy it around.

What you want to do is set up a Folder Sync to your removable drive. You can have both a Folder Sync and Wi-Fi sync enabled at the same time.

Let us know if you run into trouble.

• gallia_a
    gallia_a
    Community Member
    Options

Everything worked fine following your advice. I still have a doubt on future sync operation though: this time I start 1Password, deleted all the entries, quitted, deleted the previous agilekeychain file, copied the opvault file in the same folder, restarted 1Password and opened the new file. I'm not sure if this procedure is necessary every time or I can just switch out the opvault file when 1Password is not running. Any advice on this?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gallia_a,

It does sound like you're doing a lot more than should be necessary right now. If you set up Folder Sync so that it creates an OPVault on a removable drive then 1Password will manage to intelligently recognise when the drive is present and when it isn't. Each time the drive makes its presence known 1Password will connect to the OPVault and sync any differences between it and the local version of the vault. It will sync these changes in both directions so that changes made to the OPVault by 1Password for Windows are merged with any changes also made in 1Password for Mac.

Here is what I imagine is the best way to go forward.

1. Set up Folder Sync in 1Password 6 for Mac so it points to a OPVault on your external drive.
    2. Take external drive to work and access the OPVault directly with 1Password 4 for Windows.
    3. At end of day take external drive back to Mac and plug in, 1Password for Mac will merge all differences.

If I'm misunderstanding any part of what you're trying to do I apologise and if you can help me understand I'm sure we can come up with a solution :smile:

• gallia_a
    gallia_a
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that works perfectly and is a lot easier than what I had in mind.
    I wouldn't have thought of that, even after reading the documentation; it isn't really clear, at least to me, that it's possible to use a removable drive for the Folder Sync.
    Anyway, thanks again for your help and suggestion.

• True, folder sync is a pretty advanced feature since there are so many ways to configure it. I'm glad it's working for you now.

This discussion has been closed.