Syncing 1Password for Windows and Mac

Options
AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Mac and Windows using same 1Password vault?.

Comments

• ThePatch
    ThePatch
    Community Member
    Options

Megan.... I have same question and would love to know the answer. My main vault is on the Mac and I want to share that vault (wifi sync) to a windows machine.

tx

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ThePatch: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion so we can focus on your particular case.

Im sorry for the confusion! Wi-Fi Sync works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices — not from one server (computer) to another. You can, however, use Dropbox to sync one or more vaults between as many computers (and mobile devices) as you wish. And keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ThePatch
    ThePatch
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, Thanks heaps for that, but I'm really nervous about security of dropbox and having "all my passwords" with them. Just before Christmas I had my gmail account hacked when I stupidly clicked on a bogus dropbox link that one of my contacts sent me.

When my data is up there with dropbox, is it encrypted so that even if someone can 'get the data' they still cant read it??

tx

D

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ThePatch,

I'm glad to hear that you're thinking seriously about the security of your data, and I'll do what I can to reassure you. We are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, in fact, many of us on the AgileBits team use Dropbox for our own data.

When my data is up there with dropbox, is it encrypted so that even if someone can 'get the data' they still cant read it??

That's precisely the way it happens. 1Password offers what is called end-to-end encryption. What this means is that your data is encrypted on your computer before anything is sent to the cloud, so the only thing that is stored in Dropbox is an encrypted blob of data. Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ThePatch: Indeed. I use Dropbox myself to sync much of my 1Password data (among others), and I wouldn't be comfortable using it or recommending it if 1Password didn't have my back there. Knowledge (and encryption!) is power. Thanks again for bringing this up. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.