Do I have to type in every password i currently have? If so how does that improve my security...?

Options
jeffreyrlevin
jeffreyrlevin
Community Member

Is there an annual fee or a one time fee?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, kb:educational-license

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeffreyrlevin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in - I'd be happy to answer your questions here.

Do I have to type in every password i currently have?

Well, you might have to type in your passwords one more time, but it should be the last time. You don't mention which platform you'll be using 1Password, but here's the basic idea for the desktop versions:

• 1Password has a super-handy browser extension that can fill your details in on websites.
    • This browser extension can also detect when you are entering a username and password on a site, and it will offer to save your details for you.
    • So, after you've got 1Password and the browser extensions installed, you'll want to open up a browser window and start logging into a few of the accounts that you already have.
    • When you type your username and password, 1Password will prompt you to save those details into the app.
    • Then, the next time you wish to log into the site, you can use 1Password to fill those details. Simply use the keyboard shortcut (Command- \ on Mac, Control- \ on Windows) to fill in your username and password.

Our User Guides will have more detail on saving and creating Login items for each version of 1Password, or if you let me know which platform you're interested in, I can help you here. :)

If so how does that improve my security...?

Saving your existing account information into 1Password is just step 1 in your journey towards better security. 1Password's goal is to make it convenient to be secure. One of the ways it does this is by filling your details into websites for you. When 1Password is doing the filling for you, there's no need for you to have a password that is easy to remember (or easy to type). So, after you've entered your existing account details into 1Password, step 2 in your security journey is to start updating some of those existing passwords. Simply log into your account and navigate to the account details page to update your passwords. 1Password has a 'strong password generator' that can create random strings of gibberish for you to use as passwords. Update the account, and ensure that the new password is safely stored in 1Password, and you're well on your way to being a security guru!

The best thing that you can do for your online security is to ensure that you are using unique passwords for every site that you visit. I hope 1Password can help you here!

Is there an annual fee or a one time fee?

We're currently working on 1Password for Teams, which will operate on a subscription model, but the 1Password apps are a one-time purchase. This purchase will entitle you to all in-version updates. Every now and then there might be a paid upgrade, but we do our best to keep these as few and far between as possible. To give you an idea of how frequently paid upgrades are, 1Password 4 for Mac was a paid upgrade from 1Password 3. It was released in October of 2013. 1Password 5 and 1Password 6 for Mac have both been free upgrades. In addition to this, we have discounts in place for existing users who wish to upgrade. (Basically, we love our users and do whatever we can to ensure that they can continue to benefit from the security of 1Password!)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.