local vault v "Personal" vault

Options

Anyone want to weigh in on which of these they use and why?

I ask because I think both of these vaults have the same purpose - they are not for sharing.

I cannot (and do not intend to) remember my account code - so it is stored in an item in my local vault. This means I will never be able to access my teams via the web (without my app). This, in turn, means that the "Personal" vault has no real advantage over my local vault but has the disadvantage of not having folders.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

Just realised that you do not need to remember your account code on devices you have already authorised, but it still causes problems for the first time you are at someone's Mac/PC and want to help them but need to log onto something to do it.

• rob
    Options

Hi, @JamesHenderson.

Great question! There are a few differences between the Personal vault in your 1Password for Teams account, and your local vaults:

1. The biggest difference in my opinion is Recovery. If you lose access to your team account somehow but you've added someone else on your team to the Recovery Group, that person will be able to help you recover access to your account. That's not true of local vaults; it's a brand new feature of 1Password for Teams.
    2. When you set up a new device, all you have to do is enter your team account information and all your vaults are automatically added. With local vaults, you have to configure iCloud, Dropbox, or some other form of sync to get the information to that new device.
    3. You can access your account through the web from anywhere. You're correct that this is slowed down by the need for the Account Key, but if you find yourself doing this a lot, it might not be a bad idea to store your Account Key in your wallet, or on a USB drive you keep on your keychain, or in something else that you always carry.

I personally have moved all my items out of my Primary local vault into my Personal vault either on my family "team" account or my work team account, depending on the item. The only things left in my local Primary vault are Account Keys and Master Passwords for the other accounts, just in case I need them.

Lack of folders is a notable point. I started using folders a while back, but then I just stopped because I never click on them to find an item. I just search, and it's super fast. For the rare cases that I do need to group items together, I'll use tags, which are much more flexible than folders anyway.

Anyway, I hope that is helpful. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@rob

thanks!

• rob
    Options

You're welcome! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.