Safari extension is noticeably slower to open than it used to be. Any reasons why?

trobards
trobards
Community Member

No changes on my equipment. No changes in software. Just a 5 to 10 second lag from master password input to opening. It used to be almost immediate.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension is noticeably slower to open than it used to be. Any reasons why?

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @trobards,

I can't say for sure what might be causing the sudden change, but I can suggest a few things that might help.

The unlocking in the extension is actually handled by 1Password mini (the helper in the menu bar), so the first thing I'd suggest is open the main 1Password app, click the Help menu > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. If that doesn't help, try rebooting the whole computer, which can often help speed up performance.

Finally, I'll also recommend updating to the latest Safari extension version available, which is currently 4.5.2 in the Safari Extension Gallery (it's free, as always).

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you, and we'll be here to help if you have any other questions. Cheers!

• trobards
    trobards
    Community Member

Thanks. I did all of the suggested things and things are back to normal speed. I was not rigorous enough to test after each step so I can't say which one made the difference, but its all good now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @trobards, if I were a gambling person I'd place money on it being the reboot of the Mac but all that really matters is it's running smoothly again :smile:

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

Hello agileBits,

I had the same problems and rebooted frequently without any change. The lag when opening the safari extension was 15-25sec - especially from providing the master key till vault opening. If I worked while the extension was frozen the extension window would suddenly move to the cursor position ready to be worked with. Strange thing. Started with update to v6.
    Now after resetting 1Password Mini the first starts look normal again (although rebooting did not make a difference). I hope it´ll stay like that.
    Best,
    David

• Hi @nebaon,

Are you using version 6.0.2? There was a change in 6.0.2 that should make unlocking faster in a lot of cases. I'm working on more fixes that should also help significantly.

Rick

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

Yes, I am using 6.0.2. Thanks for your work.
    Since I restarted mini it looks normal again.

Best,
    David

• Thanks for the update. :)

Rick

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

A few days after that comment the slow opening occured again. I am using 6.1 now, but the latest update did not make any change.

The first opening when checking credentials is very, very slow (around 30sec-60sec after I submitted the credentials for 1Password). After that - when I am logged in - it´s much faster (around 0,5-1sec). Hope you can help, it really bothers me.

Also - that may be another threat - the iCloud Sync is not working (agileBits version).

Best,
    David

• Hi @nebaon,

We're still working on the slow unlock issue. It's my number one priority any time I get new information about it. I'm currently waiting for diagnostic reports from beta users who hit it as we'll get more information from them.

As for your iCloud sync issues... could you email us at support+forums@agilebits.com with a Diagnostics Report so that we can look into that for you?

Rick

• fseesink
    fseesink
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

@rickfillion , for me it's not Safari but Firefox (45.0 as I type this). But this past week (not exactly sure when it started), I noticed that any time I needed to unlock 1Password, I'd click the toolbar button, the password screen pops up immediately, I type in my password and hit [Enter], it does the little animation like it's going to unlock... then sits there for about 5 seconds. Never had that before. I'll keep an eye on it to see if I can reproduce it elsewhere (using Safari, Chrome, or just unlocking from the OSX menubar), but I've definitely had it using Firefox multiple times lately. Note I have what appears to be latest plugin (v4.5.4).

UPDATE: Ok, testing done by fireing up main 1Password 6 app (v6.1), then quitting it to lock everything up, then clicking the 1Password toolbar button in each browser (Firefox 45.0, Safari 9.0.3, and Chrome 48.0.2564.116) and unlocking, and saw same lag. Then decided to simply fire up main app, and that signed in immediately! So then it occurred to me to check 1Password mini in the menubar. It, too, had 5 second lag.

Just to make sure, I ran the main app, held down the [CTRL] key while I clicked on 1Password 6 | Quit 1Password and 1Password mini to close out both. Then launched main app again, signed in (which worked normally), then did tests. This time all went well.

I suspect my issue was some kind of caching issue, or at worst just something with 1Password mini. This cleared that out. All good now.

• @fseesink : this is the same issue.

Rick

• genec00000
    genec00000
    Community Member

I'm also getting very slow unlocks as of last week on the Mac. I do have some Teams vaults along with my own personal vaults. It takes about 20 seconds between entering the master password and the unlock.

I just tried it again with the app open (and locked) in the background. The app unlocked right away after entering the master password in the Safari 1Password extension even while the extension itself sat unlocked for a while.

• Hi @genec00000,

Sounds like you're hitting the same issue as the others. I'm still working on it. Until then the workaround is to restart both 1Password and 1Password mini. Once you do that, it should be snappy again for at least a few days. That's not a very fun thing to have to do though, which is why I'm not giving up on this bug any time soon.

Rick

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

Hello Rick,

just checking if you come any closer to a solution. After the latest update it is if anything even slower than before. I am now stuck for around 50sec before I can do anything with 1p. It´s really destroying the user experience over the last weeks. Very much hope that you´ll find a solution for that!
    I guess you know that already: Before 6.0 it all went very smooth.

Best,
    David

• Hi @nebaon,

We aren't any closer, no (sadly). Are you using the AgileBits Store version of the app? If so, can I ask for your help with this? It's pretty easy:

• Enable Beta Updates under Preferences > Updates
    • Update to the latest 6.3 beta
    • Avoid restarting 1Password mini. Avoid doing more updates (since that will restart mini)
    • Wait for the problem to come back
    • Once it has come back while you're running the beta: create a diagnostics report. Email it to support+forums@agilebits.com, and include a link to this forum thread. If you include "Rick Fillion" in the email I should get automatically notified.

In the betas we have additional logging to help us see what's going on here. I'm still waiting for the first report to come in from a user that has this additional logging. But whenever that is, I'll drop whatever I'm working on to investigate further. So far every theory we've come up with has come up empty handed.

Rick

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

Hey Rick,
    thanks for getting back. I´ll do that.

Best,
    David

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi David ( @nebaon ),

Thanks so much for helping us with this! We look forward to your report. :)

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

Hello,

looks like the problem is solved, thanks so far.

Best,
    David

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

We're all very glad to hear that! Please let us know if the problem reoccurs -- and hopefully that's "never" ;)

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

Hey nmott,

it´s recurring earlier as I thought. First 2-3 times after installation of new beta all was normal, now I am with 1min waiting again. It´s a pain. How should we proceed?
    Needless to say this error renders 1p kinda useless since 4 months as I wait that minute multiple times per day.

Best,
    David

• Hi @nebaon ,

Can you send us a new diagnostics report? It may be a different issue.

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Also, if you can include the date and time that you experienced the delay, that'll help us find it in the report.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It should help us figure out what's going on.

Regards,
    Kevin

• nebaon
    nebaon
    Community Member

The reference for the report is [#EYR-87411-794].

Best,
    David

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @nebaon

Thank you for sending the diagnostics report, we have received it and someone will be in touch with you soon over email. We'll continue the conversation over there :chuffed:

ref: EYR-87411-794

This discussion has been closed.