How to backup my vault & sync with other devices?

Options
dani_
dani_
Community Member

Hello guys,
Im using 1Password no for more then 2 years and Im quiet happy with it.
First I used it with iOS and since 6 months I am using it on android.

But on android I get some problems now.
I wanted to sync my files with dropbox to create an backup.
I once already did this and deleted the backup on dropbox again. So there is no 1Password folder on dropbox anymore.
Now I get the error message that I can not sync anymore because my agilekeychain is not found on dropbox.
And I have to restore my complete 1Password database.
So how can I get an backup of my complete databse of 1Password now?
Because I can not sync with any other device than dropbox and I also cant find the local path to the database on my android device.

So now I only have my database on my android device.
But if my device needs an complete reset or something I would like to make sure that the 1password databse is safetly backed up somewhere else.

Is there any way that I can get an backup of my 1Password now?

Thank you for your all your help
Best regards Dani :)

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: Android 5.1.1
Sync Type: -

Comments

• Hi @dani_. 1Password 4 for Android allows you to configure any supported sync solution you prefer, and with any single vault, but once sync has been configured, it's not possible to change it without resetting or reinstalling the app. Unfortunately, resetting the app means you will lose all of your 1Password data on Android.

First things first, I'd like you to please try recovering the deleted vault in Dropbox.

If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid our only option is to start over. The easiest way to do so would be to install 1Password on a Mac or PC (if you don't already have it on one), and then save all of your data into a vault on that device, using the browser extension.

Let me know if you're able to recover the vault in Dropbox, and if not, whether you have access to a Mac or PC. Thanks!

• dani_
    dani_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @peri ,
    thank you for the quick answer.
    I tried to recover my deleted files from dropbox but sadly there are no deleted files...

So now is there no other possibility to sync or backup my database from my android phone to anything else?
    I have a MAC and PC. So both would be possible.

Starting a completely new vault is no option because I got more than 100 entries inside my vault.
    Would be very frustrating to enter all manually >_<
    Thanks

• Hi @dani_. I'm sorry to hear that! Do you have your old iOS device or your 1Password vault on any other device? Unfortunately there's no way to reconfigure sync on Android without resetting the app. :(

The easiest way to recover your vault will be to install the trial version of 1Password on your Mac or PC and then use the browser extension to save your Logins. That will make resaving your vault items much easier than it would be to readd them on Android.

Once you have your vault intact on Mac or PC, you can configure sync on that device, and then reinstall 1Password on Android in order to configure sync with this new vault.

• dani_
    dani_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @peri
    Thats not good to hear :(

Is there any possibility to get the database (.agilekeychain) direct on the local android storage?
    Because the databse Needs to be there somewhere local.
    But I cant find it.

Altought thank you for the fast answers :)

• Unfortunately, because you configured Dropbox sync with an existing AgileKeychain in 1Password for Android, it’s not possible to change the sync method and recreate another AgileKeychain. :( However, I would be happy to see if there are any alternative solutions we can look into. Are you using 1Password on your Mac and PC?

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Android device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• dani_
    dani_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @saad
    Thank you for your answer.
    I already send the diagnostic Report to you.
    The Support ID is #AQW-93937-826

Is there any possibility to get access to the local database on my android device?
    For example copy the local databse out of the android phone and copy to a local PC or MAC?

• Thank you, @dani_. Your email came through and I've pinged @saad to let him know.

You should hear from him tomorrow once he's had a chance to review the Diagnostics Report.

Take care,

++dave;

• saad
    edited February 2016
    Options

@dani_ I just looked over the diagnostic report and responded via email. Thanks!

• ChapmanRS
    ChapmanRS
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Support, I have 1Password installed on my PC, MAC, 2 iPads and 2 Android phones. I use WiFi sync to keep them up to date as I don't use Dropbox - I am unconvinced as to the value of using a server managed by someone else as a safe place to put highly confidential data such as bank account details and passwords etc.

The version of 1Password on My iPad has a feature that lets you change the device you can WiFi sync with, thus my iPad will sync with my MAC, other iPad and my PC, which is a good bridge, but it can't see the android devices. The android devices only sync with the first device they see when setting up the sync process. Thus my wife's Galaxy S5 will only WiFi sync with my MAC and my own Galaxy S5 will only WiFi sync with my PC, and the two phones will not sync with each other. Can the iPad facility that allows changing of sync devices be updated to work on Android please?

This would make a great product even better for me.
    Keep up the good work.
    Kind Regards
    Roy.

• peri
    Options

Hi @ChapmanRS. Thanks for contacting us with your feedback today. :)

Wi-Fi sync is actually only supported between a single Mac or Windows device and one or more mobile devices. It's not intended to be used between multiple computers as you described.

Further, 1Password on Android doesn't have support for reconfiguring sync, as you mentioned. You can configure Wi-Fi sync between your Android device and any single vault on any single Mac or PC. However, once you've configured 1Password on Android to sync with that vault, it will only look for that vault on the network from then on.

As a solution for users with multiple Macs and PCs who wish to avoid syncing using cloud services, we recommend using Folder sync between the computers, and then syncing between a single computer and the mobile devices using Wi-Fi.

That said, we would love to add the ability to reconfigure sync on Android without resetting the app, and I'll pass your vote along to the team.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions or feedback. :)

This discussion has been closed.