Licence per-vault, not per platform.

Options
JohnHind
JohnHind
Community Member

Can I suggest it is time to change your licensing model since the current one does not really fit how we use devices these days and the person-specific rather than device-specific logic of your product. I want to buy one license which entitles me to use a single vault synchronized between / used on as many platforms of whatever types as I may wish. This should be technically straight forward to implement since you have the ability already to store the license in the vault itself. You could even have a size-specific license, say a cost per hundred items stored in the vault.

I would also like to see more cross-platform functionality which would be enabled by this philosophy. For example you could have a service for PC/Mac which enabled 1Password on a phone to push data securely to the clipboard, keyboard buffer and form-filler add-ins without the data itself ever being stored on that platform. In conjunction with using the fingerprint reader on the phone (I guess you must be working on this?) there is the opportunity for a really tight multi-factor security system.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JohnHind,

I think you make a good point, and AgileBits agrees. That's why I think you'll like to hear how the new 1Password for teams works: you just have to have one subscription to use it everywhere (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) and you don't have to worry about licenses. Vaults synchronise between devices without any hassle. With Teams, you can share information that you want with your family, but even if you want it just for yourself it has many advantages. Right now, while it's still on Beta, it's free to try, later on it will be a monthly subscription.

I hope this information helps you :chuffed:

• JohnHind
    JohnHind
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Pilar
    Not what I had in mind really - I was hoping for a one-off payment model and not compulsorily "cloudy". It seems unfair to me that if I have three Windows machines I only need one license, but if I have an Android phone, a Windows desktop and an iPad then I need three even though I'm using the same data on them all (even if I have only one machine, if I decide to move from Windows to Apple for example I have to pay again). And it seems unfair to AgileBits that a family maintaining four different vaults on four different Windows machines only pay for one license. If it was a one-off payment per vault that would be fairer to both. Note that it could still be version locked so the vault is only compatible up to a certain version of each platform's app and we still have to purchase an upgrade (per vault) to use new major versions.

• Mitch
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hello @JohnHind,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It's been enlightening for me to learn about your concerns with the current licensing model. We share many of the same concerns. In fact, they were our motivation for building 1Password for Teams.

The "cloudiness" of Teams is precisely what allows us to build the kinds of features that you mentioned, e.g. size-based licensing, multi-factor authentication, and secure transfer of state between the apps. We want to see that tight level of integration as much as you do. Many of these capabilities are on our roadmap. But it's tough to build a platform like that on top of third party sync services. And it's just as tough to support that kind of infrastructure on top of one-time purchases.

The level of integration we are talking about depends on all devices running the latest version of 1Password. That is very hard to achieve with one-time payments. Unless we never charge for major upgrades, we cannot expect all users to stay up to date. A subscription model allows us to always provide the latest versions of all the apps to all users on all platforms.

With all that in mind, here is where we stand today: the 1Password apps are available for individual purchase, as they always have been. For the needs of many people, this is more than fine. But for those who want the kind of integration and flexibility you are asking for, our solution is 1Password for Teams.

I'd be very happy to continue this conversation with you personally. Please send a message to support@agilebits.com and mention my name or provide link to this forum thread. We'll be in touch.

Cheers,

Mitch

Mitchell Cohen
    Oracle of Knowledge
    AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.