1Password bug with Hebrew

Sharon
Sharon
Community Member

If Hebrew is the preferred language in OS X Language & Region preferences, then 1Password is all mixed-up and its main window cannot be re-sized. Everything is cluttered and cannot be viewed correctly. Once English is set as the primary language, everything is normal again. I'm using 1Password for years and it never happened before on previous versions.

1Password Version: 6.0.1 Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Mitch
    edited February 2016

Shalom Sharon,

Thank you very much for bringing this bug to our attention. I was able to confirm the issue with Hebrew on OS X 10.11.2. Whatever the cause, it seems to affect all RTL languages, as I encountered the same problem when I set my primary language to Arabic.

I am filling an issue for this internally, and I will let you know if we make any progress or if a fix is on its way.

L'hitraot. :)

-MItch
    ref: OPM-3762

• Sharon
    Sharon
    Community Member

1Password 6.1 still no fix.
    1Password is not really useable if Hebrew is the preferred language.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sharon: Indeed. The development team is investigating the issue, but we don't have anything new to share from the past few weeks. Version 6.1 was in development long before this issue surfaced, and we'll have determine the cause before anything can be done about it anyway. Thanks for your patience!

• Sharon
    Sharon
    Community Member

Well, it"s a shame 1Password is not useable for so long. I cannot change the whole system language to English just to make 1Password work. I really hope you'll fix this one out soon. It would be a shame to look for a replacement for 1Password after using it for so many years.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sharon,

Thanks so much for checking in on us! I'm sorry that we don't have much of an update for you at this time - I do understand that this must be frustrating for you.

In your original post you mentioned that this problem occurred with the main app. How does 1Password mini display? 1Password mini is a pretty powerful option - nearly everything that can be done in the main app can also be done in the mini. If mini is better at displaying your content, perhaps this will help make your life easier while we investigate the issue?

I know this isn't a perfect solution, but I hope that it helps while we investigate and search for a better answer.

• Sharon
    Sharon
    Community Member

Version 6.2 for Mac, and still it is not usable in Hebrew.
    This is getting frustrating.
    As for the mini display, well first is not really a substitute for the full app. Apart from that, it's also quite messed-up.
    Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sharon: I'm really sorry that we haven't found a fix for this yet. :(

It isn't clear if this is something that changed in 1Password itself, or something different with El Capitan. Is that the version of OS X you're using as well?

• Sharon
    Sharon
    Community Member

OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming. So far we've only seen reports of this on El Capitan, so it may be something with the way right-to-left languages are handled there, as opposed to Yosemite. We'll get to the bottom of this!

• Sharon
    Sharon
    Community Member

Version 6.2.1 still no fix.
    I guess you're not going to fix it anytime soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This has to be handled differently since RTL interface mirroring is new in El Capitan, where Yosemite does not support it...and of course 1Password 6 needs to work on both. As you can see, it isn't an easy fix, but hopefully we'll able to find a solution. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now. :blush:

• Sharon
    Sharon
    Community Member

Well, under these circumstances 1Password is completely unusable for too long.
    I've been using it for so many years now, and it will be so sad to start looking for an alternative.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sharon,

I'm so sorry this issue has made 1Password so difficult for you to use! Our developers certainly haven't forgotten about this, but unfortunately I have nothing new to report about it right now. As Brenty mentioned previously, this is happening due to a change in El Capitan (i.e. RTL interface mirroring) which isn't supported yet in 1Password. My understanding is that it's more difficult to solve this than it might seem. I know that doesn't help your situation, but wanted to let you know why it still hasn't been addressed.

Now, I do have a suggestion related to something you mentioned earlier:

I cannot change the whole system language to English just to make 1Password work.

There are tools that allow you to change the language of individual apps, so you don't have to change the whole system language. A couple apps that I've heard about from other customers are Language Switcher and LinguaSwitch. I haven't personally tried either of those, but have seen them suggested by other users. If switching just the 1Password app to English while the rest of your Mac remains in Hebrew would be helpful while waiting for this issue to be fixed, you might want to check out those (or other similar) apps.

I wish I had a better answer for you about all this! I will let our developers know you checked in again about this issue. If you have more questions about that, please let us know. :)

ref: OPM-3762

This discussion has been closed.