No matter what I try I can't sync between mac and iphone.

tomkeene
tomkeene
Community Member

No matter what I try I can't sync between mac and iphone. I have 1Password.app 5.4.3, 1Password for iPhone 6.2.2, Mac OS X 10.11.2, and IOS 9.2.1. I have tried with WIFI, tried with dropbox, tried with iCloud, read all the help literature and still cannot sync an item added to the mac and get it to show up in the iPhone.

Please tell me how to enter an item in 1Password 5 on the mac and sync that with iPassword for iPhone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:syncing between mac and iphone

Comments

• Hi @tomkeene ,

I'm sorry you're having trouble setting up sync. We'll certainly do our best to help you get it up and running.

First, let's try Dropbox. Follow the instructions below:

1. In 1Password for Mac, go to Preferences, select Sync, and set it to Dropbox.
    2. When you've done that, take note of the path displayed. For example, yourname > Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.opvault (yours may be slightly different, but take note of what it is).
    3. In 1Password on your iPhone, go to Settings, select Sync, select your vault and then tap Sync with Dropbox.
    4. It should find the file in the path listed on the Mac, without yourname > Dropbox. For example, it should have found it in Apps > 1Password > 1Password.opvault if your path matched mine.
    5. Choose that file and continue with setup.

If you have any trouble with the above, please let me know which step, and what happened. We'll be glad to help you out.

If you have set all the above up without any trouble, try to change an item on your Mac. After a few seconds, check your iPhone for the change. If you don't see it, please let me know and we'll go from there.

Thank you for your patience with this. We should be able to get it working in no time.

Regards,
    Kevin

• pocopaca
    pocopaca
    Community Member

In iPhone app, I can go to settings, but there is no option for sync!!

• Hi @pocopaca,

Is it possible that you're signed into a 1Password Family or Teams account have no vaults that aren't part of those Accounts?

Rudy

• pocopaca
    pocopaca
    Community Member

It is definitely a problem with my accounts. I don't really understand what FAMILIES or TEAMS mean but I am just one person trying to sync between two machines. I did end up transferring most of my info, but for some reason, some of it is old info.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pocopaca

I'm sorry for all the frustration with setting up sync in your devices! You only have an account if you have a 1Password families or teams subscription, I think you might have created one by mistake. Is there any data in your iPhone that is not on your desktop too? If everything on your iPhone is on your Mac too, then you only need to delete 1Password from your iPhone and download it again. When you open it for the first time tap on "Use without an account", the next step will prompt you to set up syncing and you can follow the steps that have been mentioned above. If both your devices are apple, I'd personally recommend you to go with iCloud Sync, it's a bit easier! You can find the detailed instructions here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#sync-it-yourself-with-icloud-or-dropbox

Please let us know if you try this and if it works well for you :chuffed:

• pocopaca
    pocopaca
    Community Member

Thanks for your help, but I do have an account. Not sure what type but I have been using it for many years on my mac desktop. I only recently tried to use it on my Iphone as well. SO, if I were to click USE WITHOUT an account, would that mean I lose my account?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pocopaca

Accounts are pretty new, from this year! What you have been using for years on your Mac Desktop is a Standalone license. If you tap on "Use without an account" on your phone you can still sync the data on your Mac to it.

On the other hand, right now, the account that you created in June is frozen, if you rather migrate everything to the account and suscribe to 1Password Families you only need to add your credit card and unfreeze that account. The differences between the two ways in which 1Password works can be found here: https://1password.com/pricing/

When you've decided which one you would like to use, just let us know and we'll walk you through setting 1Password up that way :chuffed:

• pocopaca
    pocopaca
    Community Member

Thanks so much! It worked! Yes, I was confused with the families things and accounts. I do like my standalone lic and will continue with 1password each year as I would be lost without it!!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Woohoo! Thanks for letting us know everything is working well. :)

On behalf of Pilar, you are quite welcome!

Have a wonderful weekend, and don't hesitate to let us know if there is ever anything else we can help with.

• loukie
    loukie
    Community Member

Thanks Kevin. I was having a problem syncing iphone/ipad with my Macbook. Your advice found on this forum worked a treat. The vault on Dropbox linked to my Macbook was different to the vault my iphone and ipad were using. All sorted and am very grateful. Loukie

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! I'm glad his advice was helpful for you. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.