Teams with family members thousands of mile apart (This is actually cross platform, in a way.)

Options

Teams is a nice feature. However, I have eldercare responsibility with a sibling in a state thousands of miles away. We are both in different states from elderly parent who is in a third state. This is, not at all, uncommon.
My sibling makes the WORST passwords and emails them to me. It would be WAY BETTER if I could securely make and make visible to her, the passwords she should use for various accounts we access (cable, medical, financial) in caring for my parent.
But, as far as I can tell, this new teams feature is USELESS unless you are in the same home or it is all set up at the same time.
My sibling is a windows user (I know nothing about and she, barely). I am on Mac and iOS.
I could also see this being useful for kids away at college or partners overseas. But, it also seems useless for that too!
Oh, and I DO NOT want my sibling to see my over all password or access accounts they should not see. Only access and share accounts for our parent’s stuff we both access.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: same, new
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Drop box

Comments

• Hi @Sensel ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in about 1Password for Teams.

I'm not sure why you believe Teams is useless unless you are in the same home or set up at the same time. One of the main points for teams is that you can use it from anywhere, and invite another user at any time. Here at AgileBits we live in various places all over the world and are using it. And we also didn't all sign up at once.

The other advantage of Teams is that you can create vaults that only you can see, or vaults that other team members can see. You can also manage the permissions so some vaults can be read-only for some users so they could only be changed by you.

It seems like your situation would be perfect for teams. If you have any further questions about, feel free to reply. We'll be more than happy to answer.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Sensel
    Sensel
    Community Member
    Options

Where are the directions on how to set it up as you say? Also, my family would not buy 1P. Do they use my licence or, is there some kind of cloud they log into?
    Can I set it up on my Google Drive so they log in, then proceed? how does it work?

• Jacob
    edited February 2016
    Options

@Sensel A good start is to simply head to https://teams.1password.com and sign up, then invite new members to your account from there. Our Teams knowledge base has lots of info on things, and in particular I think this article will help you begin the journey:

1Password for Teams Admin Guide: Getting Started

If your family is already using 1Password, they can move their data over by following the steps in Moving data from a personal vault to a Team vault.

Can I set it up on my Google Drive so they log in, then proceed? how does it work?

I'm not sure what you mean. 1Password for Teams exists outside sync solutions, and you could say it replaces them. We handle everything so none of it is up to a 3rd party system. All you need to do is add your account to the apps and you're set. Hope that helps get things going! :)

• julie-tx
    julie-tx
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sensel -

The scenarios you've described are pretty typical for Family use. My son lives on the other side of Town Lake here in Austin and he has access to "my" family vault so he's able to stop by my house and feed my cats without having the police show up because the burglar alarm has gone off. I also share a few other select items with him, but he doesn't get to see the rest of my personal items (bank accounts, credit cards) or any of my work-related items (logins to AgileBits email, blog, forums). I don't know what he's stored in his "Personal" vault because I can't see that either, and I work here!

The native applications are included in the team subscription, so once your family members accept your invitation to the new family team they can immediately download whatever apps they need for their platforms, add the team to the application and immediately start sharing your important family information.

This discussion has been closed.