Keyboard Language Layouts

g4challenge
g4challenge
Community Member

Is it possible, to choose a different keyboard layout than standard english? Like German, French, or others. For me this would make the experience on Android devices perfect.

Comments

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member

I would also love to have the ability to change the layout or the language Settings.

so long

DeMon

• peri
    edited February 2016

Hi @g4challenge and @DeMonToll. Thanks for letting us know that you're interested in localization for the 1Password keyboard! This would indeed be an awesome feature, and we're hoping to improve the keyboard soon. I'll forward your feedback to the developers!

Let us know if you need anything else. :)

ref: OPA-504

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Is there any progress on this topics @peri @brenty ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing to announce yet, but we're exploring a few different options for improving the keyboard in 1Password. :)

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Can't wait to see your work, that the main pain points actually for me as the search is now behind us :chuffed:

• Awesome. I'm super glad that you're enjoying the quicker search now. :) I'll poke the devs again about localization for the keyboard.

• johnlamericain
    johnlamericain
    Community Member

What is the status of the localization for the keyboard?

• @johnlamericain thank you for sharing your interest in seeing support for alternative keyboard layouts. We don’t have anything new to announce at the moment, but we do plan to review our filling implementation soon.

• jacobbehrens
    jacobbehrens
    Community Member

I just switched from Lastpass to 1password, and everything looked great until I discovered that there were'nt other keyboard layouts than English available... Seems like this product is only aimed at the US/UK market. Hope the developers can fix an international keyboard soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jacobbehrens: It's not a trivial undertaking, but we'd like to add more in the future. Which layout in particular do you prefer? No promises, but it certainly helps to get a sense for what people would use! :)

• jacobbehrens
    jacobbehrens
    Community Member

Thanks. A layout like Swiftkey or any really, just to be able to type special characters that are in our languages :)

In the mean time, how do we make 1password work in Android during this development time? Do you have a Chrome or other browser plugin? if so, how do I access this plugin?

• I'll definitely pass your request for support for localization in the 1Password keyboard along to the team, @jacobbehrens. ref: OPA-504

That said, the keyboard is the only way to fill into third-party apps. Due to the limitations of mobile browsers, the 1Password browser extension won't work on mobile platforms like it does on desktop platforms. However, for filling into websites, you can simply tap the URL you have saved with the item to open and fill it in the built-in 1Browser. :)

• busmaniac
    busmaniac
    Community Member

What is the status on the international keyboard layouts? I would love to be able to use 1Pass to fill in my logins on my android phone, but since I cannot do that without switching to a keyboard with, in my case, swedish layout it would simply not be worth it.

• Hey @busmaniac. Sorry, but I don't have any updates on this front. However, I can tell you that we're planning on working with Google to bring Open YOLO to our users, which we're excited about. This will allow us another avenue for filling on Android. I'll bump the keyboard localization issue as well. Thanks!

• luvis
    luvis
    Community Member

I've been keeping my eye on this thread almost a year.. Is there really no news?

• Unfortunately I don't have any news on this at the moment, @luvis, but I'll bump the issue!

• andrea123z
    andrea123z
    Community Member

Dear support,

In the last year I've seen many requests on this forum for international language support and other features for the 1password keyboard and no updates yet.
    I'd just like here to stress out a little bit on how important is to have features like these, but mostly how the lack of proper (decent) keyboard would impact the users.

Sure 1password is all but a keyboard, but if you are serious about your password management and intend to properly use 1password everywhere, reason why you also pay money to sync your data, this keyboard is NO longer an option, but the main (if not only) mean to access 1password on all the mobile devices running Android, that for some users, it's all the devices.
    For this reason, 1password keyboard quickly becomes the main keyboard in use all the time and in my opinion having the ability to personalise, for example the keyboard size or color, or including support for international languages and dictionaries, should be of great, if not key, importance to you, as if you were just a software-house selling only keyboards.

On Android, 1password = 1password keyboard
    The first can't be good without the second

Furthermore, the ability to quickly switch to another keyboard (long press on the space bar as suggested elsewhere) is disabled in many keyboards like the Samsung stock ones (or it's just not that straightforward) and so, to avoid to make things too complicated, you start considering to install a 3rd keyboard.
    But once again, not having any personalisation options in 1password keyboard (not even a dark option) will probably see you busy trying to personalise the other keyboards to possibily look like the 1password one.

Eventually all of this ends up, in my case and I guess in the case of the other users who wrote before me, in an endless frustration.

Apologise for the long post, I hope this clarifies why people keep asking you about keyboard related stuff.

PS if there should be any spelling errors in this post it'd be because written by 1password keyboard.

Regards
    Andrea

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andrea123z: I use the 1Password keyboard frequently, and while I'm always glad that it's available when I need it, I know that on some devices it's difficult to switch keyboards when desired. Many of us have our own personal favourites, of course. I have like 5. Anyway, we're all in agreement that there's room for a more streamlined approach. We have some things in the works, but I'm sorry that there's nothing to announce at this time. Suffice to say even if we're able to improve the keyboard in the future, we don't really want to be in a situation where the keyboard is the best or only way to use 1Password. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on this. :)

This discussion has been closed.