Cull unused generated passwords, please?

MichaelDurio
MichaelDurio
Community Member

I sometimes go through multiple generated passwords on the way to getting to something I either "like" or that fits the unpublished "recipe" on some sites. I notice that all these unused generated passwords accumulate in the "Previously Used Passwords," even if I never actually used the password(s). Is there some way to get ride of all these since they consist of junk? I'd like to keep my vaults as compact and "real" as possible.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.0.3.BETA-1 (603001) AgileBit
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5 (and others)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hi there,

Sorry you're facing this issue.

The password history is saved in the scenario where you change the password value and save the item. Unfortunately there was recently a bug where the item would periodically be saved, so even if you haven't saved or clicked away from the password it would be adding to the password history. The fix should be coming out in the near future.

As for editing the password history. We unfortunately don't have that ability currently.

Sorry about that.

• MichaelDurio
    MichaelDurio
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

As for editing the password history. We unfortunately don't have that ability currently.

Would be a useful feature, especially because the excess passwords generated were not a result of my "saving" them at all, and if they were "periodically saved" due to a bug, the period apparently was every second or so, since every single generated\rejected\unused password was recorded. How about a way to bless a generated password and discard the unused ones? Even if the bug is fixed, I will still have detritus in some password histories. And perhaps an app preference to enable or disable such a feature—I realize it would have the potential for the user to accidentally delete used passwords from the history. {Though that's why there are 1Password backups, right?]

Is my scenario such an outlier, or have people simply not noticed if there were accumulated unused generated passwords? I can't think of an efficient workaround other than using Apple's password generator utility to generate trial passwords and then pasting an acceptable result into 1Password; hardly the reason I use (and advocate for) 1Password!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MichaelDurio,

Prior to this daft bug the password history would rarely grow out of control so to be honest with you we've seen very few requests to make the password history editable. With so many things more in demand either by our users or by way of changes to platforms it just hasn't ever been seen as an in-demand item that everybody wants to see. I've recorded your vote against the feature request though as every voice is listened to. Of course this bug does have an impact on those that do regenerate passwords to meet whatever their requirements are.

It's a bit of a workaround but if you duplicate an item it does remove the password history. It wasn't ever designed for that reason but it may allow you to rein in some of the larger offenders if you're feel strong enough on this. When the bug is fixed we only record those passwords used in the genuine saved state which I think sounds a bit like your bless suggestion?

The workaround is a bit hacky, I'm just trying to think of anything you might be able to do now to help rather than wait for a feature request that may or may not come with an unknown schedule.

ref: OPM-1962

• MichaelDurio
    MichaelDurio
    Community Member

Thanks for the "duplicate an item" suggestion. I thought that did the trick; now I have an official validation. Thanks for hearing me out on the issue at hand.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

@MichaelDurio, on behalf of littlebobbytables and nathanvf you're very welcome! We're always happy to hear from our users! Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

• spark007
    spark007
    Community Member

@Pilar I have similar issue and was wondering if removal of "unused" generated password is fixed. I am using latest 1Password on MAC Sierra v6.3.3

If I generated password (not the duplicates) and not used eventually, it stores in history. I am ok to select an remove. But I am not sure if it is safe to do so. Will removal of all entries under "password" category affect my user/password in use? Basically, is it safe to remove all entries under Password category?

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spark007,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! Just to be clear, the bug this thread originally referred to was that if you clicked 'Edit' for a Login item, and then clicked the password generator button next to the main password field, the "previously used passwords" list in that Login item would be updated every time you generated a new password or altered the password generator settings, even if you didn't save changes. That bug was fixed, so now the "previously used passwords" list is only updated once, when you click 'Save'.

However, if I understand your question, you're asking about items in the Passwords category, which is unrelated to the situation I described above. It sounds like you're using the Password Generator option in 1Password mini / browser extension. When you use the Password Generator in 1Password mini, it will save a new Password item when you do any of the following:

• You click the Fill button
    • You click the ▼ button next to Fill and choose Copy
    • You highlight the generated password and manually copy it (by using ⌘C or right-click > Copy)

Saving the new password in a new Password item serves as a safety net - you can still find a record of that password even if you don't end up saving it in a Login item or anywhere else. If 1Password updates a Login item with that new password, it will automatically delete the corresponding Password item because it's no longer needed.

Are you sure you don't need the Password items in your vault? If so, you can certainly delete them yourself (or at least move them to the Trash in your vault). Deleting a Password item will not cause anything to change in your other items. Just be careful not to delete any that you actually need.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.