Feature Request: CamelCase multi-word password generation

Malacandra
Malacandra
Community Member

I love your option to create memorable passwords consisting of multiple words. I work for an organization that has standardized around use of passwords consisting of multiple words which don't use a character separator, but use an uppercase letter for the initial character of each word, aka "CamelCase".

So, rather than generating a password like "senate-milk-krakatoa-maya-jolt" (using hyphen separators) our convention would be to use "SenateMilkKrakatoaMayaJolt". I think it ought to be fairly trivial to add that option… and it would definitely make life easier for me in conforming to my workplace's security policy.

I'm guessing that it'd be a fairly popular option for others, as well - not to mention helping me evangelize the use of 1Password among my colleagues.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud & Dropbox

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for this suggestion, @Malacandra. It's great to hear from users how they want and need to use 1Password. We'll take it into consideration, but hopefully you can appreciate that we want to prevent option overload.

Right now, we have five options. Adding a sixth I think would likely put us into having to change the UI of that screen to something other than a set of radio buttons and could put us on a slippery slope to having way too many options in such a list (What's yet another option when you can't see them all at once staring you in the face?), and that doesn't even touch on the fact that it means another path in the app's code, another opportunity however small for bugs to creep in. I'm not saying it's not something we might do, but just giving some insight into what considerations go into adding even a single trivial option.

We do truly appreciate the suggestions, though. It's great to understand how 1Password can be more useful and give feedback to our design and development team to see how we can accommodate as many of those use cases as possible. It really is passionate users like you that help us make 1Password better every day. Keep the feedback coming! :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• Malacandra
    Malacandra
    Community Member

Having been involved in UX design for over 30 years, I can appreciate your desire to minimize complexity in this regard.
    Here's one approach that could reduce the number of bullet options to two:

• Select Separator Character - with a dropdown list naming/displaying separator characters, with a default.
    • CamelCase Password

There's more than one way to present options… ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Malacandra, thank you for your additional suggestion & feedback, we truly appreciate it! I'll gladly forward that to our developers - I can't guarantee we'll add that, but it sounds like a good idea, and it's certainly something to consider.

We're always listening to what our customers would like and looking into ways to improve our user experience, so if you have more suggestions or need anything else, be sure to let us know! :)

• timdmackey
    timdmackey
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

I'm going to add my voice to this request, a current problem with using the diceware method in 1Password is that some website password limitations make these passwords invalid, either because capital letters are required, or because special characters are not allowed. At least 10% of the sites I use have this problem, here's an example from today when I tried to use 1Password's auto-generated password:

CamelCase as an option would solve this problem. If it's a concern that "CamelCase" is kind of a technical word, you could probably just call it "Capitalize" instead.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @timdmackey,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here! I’ll pass them along to our development team.

• BDROYE
    BDROYE
    Community Member

Actually I shocked this is not a feature. I expected to the words option for a password to include numbers and Camel Case not merely capitalization, which is the first letter of a word capitalized. Very diassppointed. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for your feedback about this! I can forward that to our developers, although I can't promise if or when we might add settings for numbers, capitalization, etc to the 'Words' option in the password generator. We added that option to help in situations where you might need a password that is easier to memorize or manually type. If you need to create a password that includes numbers, capital letters, and/or symbols, you can do that with the 'Characters' option in the password generator.

Thanks again, we truly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to know what sort of features our customers are interested in. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.