Copy password to clipboard

hglattergotz
hglattergotz
Community Member

Is there keyboard shortcut that would allow me to copy the password of the found item (command + F) to the clipboard so I do not have to use the mouse to click the copy button?

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:keyboard-shortcuts

Comments

• Hi @hglattergotz ,

Yes, there is. Here's the workflow:

In the main app:

1. Press command F and search for your item.
    2. When you see a result, press tab so the item is highlighted in blue.
    3. When it is highlighted, press command shift c and the password will be copied.

Or, if you have 1Password mini in your menu bar:

1. Press command option \ to bring up the mini and search for your item
    2. use the down arrow to select the item
    3. When it is highlighted, press command shift c and the password will be copied.

I hope that helps. Please reply if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• hglattergotz
    hglattergotz
    Community Member

Thank you!! :)

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

On Kevin's behalf, you're welcome :chuffed:

• ajbool
    ajbool
    Community Member

Hi,

This shortcut is listed under the Windows app (Shift-Ctrl-C) list of shortcuts - but not in the equivalent documentation for the Mac app. Could please you add this to the list of Mac shortcuts to help other users? Also, I think this operation should be visible on the Edit menu of the Mac app - which would help discoverability of this feature even more than updating the documentation.

Related: Windows has a Ctrl-B shortcut for copying the username - could you please provide a similar shortcut for the Mac? Cmd-B would perhaps be a little strange - Cmd-U would make more sense and is not currently in use (as far as I can tell.)

Many thanks,

aid

• @ajbool I just quickly checked our knowledge base to make sure this really was missing, because it's an awesome shortcut that should be included, and it is indeed there. Did you try the 1Password mini shortcuts section, specifically? I think we could make this better since the function is available in the main app as well, so maybe we could have a note about that. I'll have a word with the documentation team and see what we can do. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Related: Windows has a Ctrl-B shortcut for copying the username - could you please provide a similar shortcut for the Mac? Cmd-B would perhaps be a little strange - Cmd-U would make more sense and is not currently in use (as far as I can tell.)

Great suggestion. Someone pointed this out before, so I'll be sure to add those details to issue. Thanks again!

ref: OPM-2932

• ajbool
    ajbool
    Community Member

Hi @penderworth

No, I wasn't looking at the 1Password Mini shortcuts as I'm using the main app - my copy/pasting is for SSH passwords in iTerm as opposed to working in a browser.

Thanks for checking this out for me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajbool,

Thanks for clarifying your workflow!

One of the great things about 1Password mini is that you can access it no matter what you’re doing. In the browser, 1Password mini is accessible via the icon in the browser’s menu bar, but you should also see a 1Password icon in the operating system’s menu bar. This will give you quick access to all of your information, no matter what app you’re working in. Of course, you’re welcome to use the main app if you prefer, but I find that 1Password mini is a compact way to access what you need without having that whole app window taking up valuable screen real estate. :)

• ajbool
    ajbool
    Community Member

@Megan; I hadn't taken the time to learn Alt-Cmd-\ to bring up the 1PMini window - I was previously just using Alt-Tab to get to and from the main 1Password window. I'm going to try to make Alt-Cmd-\ my default action. Thanks for the suggestion. I do find the main 1P window to be a bit oversized ;-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Megan, you're most welcome! Hopefully the shortcut to open 1Password mini will be very helpful for you.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.