1Browser for Android

Options
rainman
rainman
Community Member

This is more of a feature request than a question... I'm not asking for an ETA or future road map, but wanted to place my vote for continued feature parity with iOS with regard to the browser. I'd love to see a tabbed persistent browser on Android that is at least on par with iOS. I'm very excited with the recent rapid development and more regular releases on Android; great job!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thank you for your vote, @rainman!

To be honest I go back and forth on this one. We the awesome extension support on iOS, in many ways 1Browser is not as important as it used to be. Maintaining a full featured browser takes a lot of time and I'm not sure it is worth it. Maybe it is?

And I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the more regular releases. It really does make a tremendous difference.

<3

++dave;

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Personally I don't see what value 1Browser could bring to Android. Providing a custom browser could cause extra development overhead and would fall short in e.g. bookmarks, syncing, etc. I wouldn't want to use multiple browsers, and I think the android teams efforts are best placed in ensuring proper interaction with mainstream browsers, e.g. Chrome and Firefox (and apps in general).

@rainman having never used iOS or 1P for iOS, I'm interested to know what use-case you're looking to solve with 1Browser. Chrome has tabs (or a setting to enable tabs now-a-days), they're persistent, and 1Password should be able to fill in your logins. Am I missing out not knowing about some super awesome feature of 1Browser?

• rainman
    rainman
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare Maybe it isn't worth it. As @EarthAura mentioned, I don't want (potentially unnecessary) development efforts shifted from more important iOS feature parity issues to this request. I struggled with even making the request, but now am second guessing it. Maintaining a fully featured browser probably does take too much effort for little gain.

I did like the 1Browser on iOS back in the day, but maybe having a way to securely launch the default (whatever the user has set) from 1Password and being able to easily authenticate would be the perfect happy medium. Hopefully, this solution will be independent of the 1Password keyboard or accessibility enabled auto-fills. I'm guessing that a separate secure solution is underway or at least on the internal roadmap.

• I agree :)

This discussion has been closed.