I keep getting a message when I open 1password on my iPhone and iPad

dkphillips
dkphillips
Community Member

I get this message each time I open 1password on my iPhone and iPad.
"Please unlock primary 1password vault on your Mac for wi-fi syncing to continue"
I have looked at all the options on 1password on my Mac for a way to unlock the vault with no success. What am I missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:How do I unlock vault so 1password will sync, ug:mac/sync-icloud, kb-search:How do I unlock primary vault so 1password will sync, ug:ios/sync-with-icloud, kb:icloud-troubleshooting

Comments

• dkphillips
    dkphillips
    Community Member

I am using 1password version 6.2.2 on iPhone, 6.0.1 on Mac
    My Mac is running IOS 10.11.3
    I am using iCloud for syncing

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dkphillips,

Sorry for this confusion,

Unlocking 1Password on your Mac is merely just not having the locked screen where you need to put in your Master Password. If you can see a list of items and vaults than you should be unlocked and it's not a problem and you should be able to sync.

Beyond that you should check your Preferences > Wifi Server and ensure that your wifi server is enabled.

• dkphillips
    dkphillips
    Community Member

I understand what you are saying but why should I have to run to my computer to "unlock" 1password to keep from getting the message I have described? And at the bottom of the message in question is this wording: "1password encountered a problem". It looks to me like there is more to this situation than unlocking 1password!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dkphillips,

Of course.

1Password was setup by you to sync to your Mac using Wifi sync. In order for wifi sync to work you need to unlock 1Password on the Mac so your iPhone and the Mac can sync with each other. This is because otherwise nothing on the Mac would be available for syncing items.

If this is a problem you can change your sync type to something like iCloud or Dropbox where you would not require your Mac to be unlocked in order to sync.

Hope this helps.

• alexandrealexandre
    alexandrealexandre
    Community Member

Hi nathannvf

I have the same issue and think tedious to us change the settings on iOS 1P everytime we go to sync with mac.

We just needed to click on "sync" on mac on the last 1P versions.

Nowadays we need to set on the iOS to have synced and set again after the sync to "sync disabled" mode if we don't need to see the message popping everytime we open the app on iOS

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @alexandrealexandre,

I fully agree with both you and @dkphillips on this one. If 1Password for Mac is locked I too find the notifications are obstructive. I've ensured your thoughts are recorded and I don't know if others will agree but I'd like to see a small notification bar at the top of the screen that can simply be ignored and still allow access to 1Password for iOS without having to wait for each alert and dismiss them to get back to whatever reason you launched 1Password for iOS. I hope we can do something here. Yes it's good to ensure the user knows 1Password isn't syncing and why but ideally not to the extent where it puts you off.

ref: OPI-3314

• cbitugs
    cbitugs
    Community Member

I have the same exact problem as above. This only has happened since El Capitan.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cbitugs: We made some important changes in 1Password 6 so that now the app needs to be unlocked on the Mac before Wi-Fi Sync can proceed. I'm sorry of the inconvenience there. We'll see if there's a way to make it a smoother experience without compromising security.

This discussion has been closed.