Custom icon size and removing custom icon

brandonyoung4d
brandonyoung4d
Community Member

I would to create custom icons for a few of my passwords in 1password. But I can't figure out what size the custom icons are displayed at in 1password. Does anyone know?

I've also been trying to remove custom icons from a few passwords and revert back to the rich icons 1password uses. But I don't see any method of removing the custom icon on OS X. I see the instructions for how to remove them on Windows, but I can't right click on the image at all whether in edit mode or not, to try and delete the icon.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_kevin
    edited February 2016

Hi @brandonyoung4d ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your question on custom icons. For a 2x retina display, we recommend a png of size 114x114 pixels. The natural size for custom icons is 57x57 points.

You can remove a custom icon for an item by editing the item, clicking the icon, and pressing delete.

Feel free to reply if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• brandonyoung4d
    brandonyoung4d
    Community Member

Awesome that worked! Thank you so much for the help.

I'm curious is the method for removing custom icons on a Mac actually on your support site anywhere? Because I couldn't find it for the life of me. I found the method for Windows on your site, but not Mac.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brandonyoung4d,

To be honest, I don't think that's specifically mentioned on our support site (or at least, I couldn't find it when I tried searching). Since we explain how to do it in the Windows version, it seems like we should explain how to do it in the Mac version as well, so I can let our documentation team know about that. Thanks for bring it to our attention!

If you need anything else, just let us know! :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

@ag_kevin Hi - I was just looking for a way to delete a custom icon in one of my logins because I can't figure out how to do it. I tried your suggestion but it didn't delete. Mac v. 10.11.4 1P (agile bits) 6.1
    When I add my custom icons I tend to take a screen shot of the App or logo from a website and add it as a .png file. I do that for all of my entries so I have a ton of them. If I wanted to revert to just the keyhole used when you first create a log in, if your way doesn't work, is there another way you can think of (without simply recreating the entry?)

Thanks.

You can remove a custom icon for an item by editing the item, clicking the icon, and pressing delete.

• Hi @iamecho ,

I'm concerned that you can't delete the custom icon. That is the only way to do it, but that way should work. I have a few questions that may help resolve this:

1. Did you click the Edit button before clicking on the custom icon. If not, make sure you click Edit first.
    2. When you clicked the icon did a blue border appear around it? If not, then it sounds like you haven't clicked Edit first.
    3. If you do get the blue border, and then pressed delete, and it still didn't delete, is this a custom icon that you added to the item, or one that 1Password automatically added?

With the answers to those questions, we should be able to help you out more.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@ag_kevin Good morning! Thanks so much for the quick response. I've figured out what is happening. You are right, if I pick a login that I have manually added an icon to, clicking edit and then delete does in fact delete it. Last night when I commented here I was trying to delete my amazon icon which I now realize I didn't add. So it seems that rich icons added by 1P (ie: not added by me) can't be deleted, only ones I add manually can. So if I do want to change the amazon icon I can edit and add a new one, I just can't delete the one it gives me or return to the key hole only. Does that make sense?

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey @iamecho,

That makes perfect sense. You can either do that or disable Rich Icons for the whole application if you like. But of course it would not appear for any item then in that case.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@nathanvf @ag_kevin Thank you both.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

No problem. :chuffed:

• robbertv69
    robbertv69
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

Hello,
    Some icons show surrounding frames, some don't. -looks like the automatically generated icons have none but only customized icons get them, but im not sure.
    At least (transparant) customized made icons get them all the time.
    How to get also them without those frames/lines?
    I tried different sizes (kb,pix), file formats, but can't get them without.
    (Having added image example of Screenflow without, additional app matter; a made copy doesn't generate its icon)
    Anyway; does anyone know the exact criteria for a customized icon, getting it just with the logo, without those rounded-edged frame? The icon editor in the app is actually useless as it can only resize and give effects.
    (-im editing on the Mac version)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10608414/editor.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10608414/example1.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10608414/example2.png

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @robbertv69,

Kevin mentions the appropriate sizes for the custom icons in his earlier reply. File format can be .png or .jpg. As far as the frame goes, it is not possible to remove that at this time. We’re working on improving custom icons, and I’m happy to let our team hear your thoughts.

ref: OPM-1478

• sniarn
    sniarn
    Community Member

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but we still can't edit or remove icons. I'm running 1Password 6.6.4. This is a bug, right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sniarn: You can, it just isn't reflected until you save the change. Does that help? :)

• sniarn
    sniarn
    Community Member

Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to do that. Here's what I'm doing:

• Edit the item.
    • Click the icon which is then highlighted blue.
    • Press backspace (or delete). The icon blinks but remains.
    • Press save and the icon is still there.
  • @sniarn : I believe that this was fixed during the course of the 6.7 betas. It used to behave as you described for me and now it behaves correctly. When 6.7 is released as a stable build I suspect that this will be fixed for you.

If you're seeing the issue with the 6.7 betas let us know so that we can look into it some more.

Rick

• sniarn
    sniarn
    Community Member

Ok, so now I have 6.7. The behaviour is different now, but still does not work. Here's the current behaviour:

• Edit the item.
    • Click the icon which is then highlighted blue.
    • Press backspace (or delete). The icon then turns into the generic login icon.
    • Press save and the icon that was just deleted is back.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sniarn: I'm not able to reproduce this I don't think, but it depends on precisely what you mean. Are you maybe doing this with an item that can pull a Rich Icon from somewhere else? For example, I have Software License items with icons pulled from the apps installed on my Mac. If I edit that to remove a custom icon I've set manually, it will temporarily revert to the generic Software License icon, but upon saving, it will simply grab it from the app. The same is true of Logins, if we have Rich Icons for them in our database: 1Password will use those rather than a generic Login icon. Let me know if that helps!

• sniarn
    sniarn
    Community Member

@brenty: I guess that could make sense. But in that case some of your icons look absolutely horrible. For instance, I have an icon for www.billetlugen.dk that I can't get rid of, and the icon is super pixelated and just plain looks bad. Could it be that 1Password is automatically fetching the favicons from websites?

• Hi @sniarn,

You're right, I was able to reproduce that here:

At one point we had written a piece of software that would fetch favicons from certain websites for inclusion in your Rich Icon server, it looks like this may have been included in that.

I've filed an issue on our side (AGW-364) for us to fix that by either updating the icon to be nicer, or removing it from the Rich Icon server since it's frankly too ugly to be there. No one wants to see pixelation like that.

Rick

ref: AGW-364

• sniarn
    sniarn
    Community Member

@rickfillion: OK, that makes sense. I have quite a few more sites you can add to your list. They all have poor icons.

• www.news.astraweb.com
    • www.computersalg.dk
    • www.dba.dk
    • www.dk-hostmaster.dk
    • dx.com
    • guloggratis.dk
    • www.kino.dk
    • www.norwegian.com
    • www.proshop.dk
    • www.themoviedb.org
    • www.uesmartradio.com

It would probably be better if you'd let users actually delete the icon themselves. For now I'm turning off rich icons in 1Password.

• Thanks @sniarn. I've added those to the list to check and likely remove.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.