1Password for Families

ntimo
ntimo
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Families

Hello,

Iam already part of the 1Pw for Teams beta. Can I now use my existing Team for my family? Or do I have to create a new one?
Edit: And is the 2Gb for attachments for 1 family member or for all. Because I think 2 GB (1GB) is to less, in my opinion.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Kaveh
    Kaveh
    Community Member

Yes, it'd be nice to know how this is different from 1Password for Teams.

• jmaver
    jmaver
    Community Member

First, of all, I am thrilled with the pricing!

Second, I also would love to know how to convert my current Team that I am using to a Family account. Or, should I just create the family one and then migrate everything over to it?

• motivio
    motivio
    Community Member

Same here, I would like to keep my existing Team name from the current Teams beta.
    So far there is no menu to sign up from an existing Teams beta account. :-(

• pjdiddy
    pjdiddy
    Community Member

+1. I signed up for a Teams account for my family two days ago. Can I move this to a Families plan?

• donnywdavis
    donnywdavis
    Community Member

I emailed support about this and they said that there will be a conversion option from teams to families.

• sdrel
    sdrel
    Community Member

I also need information on conversation option. Tried following 'signup before spring springs' link and it creates a new account key. Want to use same setup I have in beta.

• mikecharbonneau
    mikecharbonneau
    Community Member

Just adding my +1 to this as I too am pleased with the offer.

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member

I am loving the 1Password for Teams and was hoping that the family pricing would give you access to the same functionality (recovery group, admin controls on vaults etc., but limited to a few family members. Is there a FAQ explaining the differences (if any) between Teams and Families?

• jennifer
    jennifer
    Community Member

I'd also love more info about moving my 1Password for Teams vault to the new family pricing before the initial pricing deal expires. Sounds great! Will you be emailing current 1P for Teams beta users with the details on how to convert to 1P for Families, or do we need to keep an eye on this forum for instructions?

• plucker
    plucker
    Community Member

I'm trying to give you my money and sign up for the families version but I can't work out how to keep my team name from the beta. Any ideas please?

• jebr
    jebr
    Community Member

I just created a test Family account and it seems as though there are no groups possible :( I was hoping for all the granular contols of teams. I wonder if you could have all the full controls under "Advanced settings" for power users while leaving the simpler default GUI for others?

• plucker
    plucker
    Community Member

So are there functional differences between "families" and "teams"? I was hoping they were the same thing, I'm confused now

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016

Hi, everyone, and thanks for your interest in 1Password for Families! I'm moved this thread to the new Families category here in the forum. Before I get started with answers, I'd also like to welcome @jmaver, @sdrel, and @plucker to our forum! Thanks for joining us. :)

Ok, now for questions. I mean, answers.

@ntimo, @jmaver, @motivio, @pjdiddy, @sdrel, @mikecharbonneau, @jennifer, @plucker:

Those with team accounts will be able to convert their accounts to family accounts in the future. We haven't implemented that just yet, but it won't be hard. Anyone who already has a team account is obviously an early adopter and will get the benefits mentioned in today's blog post. No one needs to create a new account; you can keep your domain and existing setup and we'll provide a way to migrate to a family account soon. I'm not sure where we'll be announcing that, but it will probably show up inside the Settings panel of the Admin Console, so keep an eye there at least.

@ntimo:

The 2 GB limit for Documents is per family account, not per user. There may be options to purchase additional storage space in the future.

@Kaveh, @jebr, @plucker:

There are a few differences between team and family accounts. I've outlined the current differences here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/280938/#Comment_280938

Family accounts are intentionally simpler. After all, most families do not need the fine-grained controls that teams need, and the family price is much, much less. That's not to say things won't change at all, but we do intend to keep family accounts simpler than team accounts.

I think I've addressed all the questions here. Let me know if I missed anything. :)

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member

As a long time 1Password user (almost since day one) I'd like to comment on the pricing. I don't care for it, never cared for a monthly fee being charged. Reminds me of an Office 365 rate or the new Adobe rates. A one time price would be my preference.

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016

Hi, @Doug in Alaska.

We still offer both pricing models. 1Password for Families is a hosted service we are providing where you can pay for one thing and get all the apps for no additional cost, rather than purchasing each app separately. The infrastructure for this service costs a lot of money each month, so we have to charge a subscription to use the service, but we have priced it very aggressively for families because we want families to be able to use it.

On the other hand, if you prefer to pay for each of the apps and their upgrades individually and manage the syncing of each of your vaults separately, you can still do that.

I hope that helps! :)

• pjdiddy
    pjdiddy
    Community Member

@rob Many thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that and switch as soon as possible.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @pjdiddy! We're here if you have any other questions :)

• Deonh
    Deonh
    Community Member

Hi Guys, sorry but I'm still confused. My wife, just today, lost her data due to OneSafe not syncing all her data and she now wants an alternative. I've been using 1Password (Also after loosing data with OneSafe) for a while on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. We don't really need a single shared vault as we save very different things but would, every now and then, require a shared item such as credit card info. If I understand the family plan correctly, my wife and I could use the family plan to each maintain our own vaults but also share common items with each other? Would the family plan also give me cross platform support in the sense that my Mac, iPhone, iPad and her iPhone, iPad and Windows Client would be able to access our vaults without any additional purchases?

Thanks for a great product!

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Deonh,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear your wife lost her important data :( How frustrating!

Secondly, you hit the nail on the head! I would have never guessed that you were confused if you hadn't told me :)

1Password Families allow you to easily and securely share vaults while also maintaining your own separate, private vaults. Right off the bat, you'd each have a Private vault plus a Shared vault everyone can access.

You're also right in that the 1Password clients across all platforms are included in the cost of 1Password Families. 1Password for Android, iOS, and Mac currently have Families support, as does the beta of our Windows 10 app (on the Windows Store). We're working on support for earlier versions of Windows :)

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have more questions.

• Deonh
    Deonh
    Community Member

@Aleen,

Thanks for the prompt response. Will definitely be looking at the Family option then.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Awesome news! We're here if you need us :)

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification Rob!

• Sure thing! :)

This discussion has been closed.